Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rubbing alcohol or...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FunkSlapRumblefish, Jul 23, 2001.

1. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I know that people use rubbing alcohol to clense their strings, but would hydrogen peroxide also work? I'm just wondering, maybe I should try it :confused:

-FSR

2. Hydrogen peroxide doesn't work. It's not a good degreaser and it won't dissolve the oil that's built up on your strings.

3. How often should i change my strings?

4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, well that clears things up :). Thanks. But is there anything out there that works as well or better than Isopropyl rubbing alcohol? I've tried that, and it works pretty good, but I don't have much of it to spare. Thanks for the help.

-FSR

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Denatured alcohol.

Do a search in the forums on "String Boilers Anonymous"

6. Tomi

Tomi

Dec 4, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    Acetone. Excellent degreaser but remove the strings from the bass before use it!

7. yeah, it's like $1.29/a bottle. What?

8. i never cleaned my strings with alcohol so I have no idea with anything about it so maybe someone could help me. Is this 100% effective? Can it do any damage to your strings? Would you recommend doing it and when should I clean them?

thanks

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Using denatured alcohol has been 100% effective for me. Stay away from common isopropyl rubbing alcohol...it's mostly water and just promotes degradation of the metals. Denatured evaporates before any corrosion occurs.

10. Thnaks for the advice. It looks like i won't be using alcohol any time soon.

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Most commercial IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) or rubbing alcohol is 70% alcohol and shouldn't cause any corrosion. I'd be careful using anything with higher percentage due to volitility. It's got a flashpoint of around 75 degrees. If you do use it, make certain to be outside or in an area with industrial ventilation.

I've used commercial IPA to soak strings but I also leave them in the freezer for about a week before taking them out. It helps the metal to contract. I only keep recovered strings as back ups. It is good to have them for gigs. I haven't kept a recovered set on as the primary strings.

It would be nice if you could get tips on cleaning strings from the manufacturers, but they would just say "Buy a new set." Maybe someone could try and see how they respond.