Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ruber strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jewmongas, Mar 13, 2002.

1. my friend said that that he saw a bass with rubber strings does anyone now if they exist and if they do were i can find some.

2. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The only ones that I know of are by DeArmond (Sub-company of Fender). These are like short scale practice basses with surgical rubber strings. Seems strange to me. I think these are more for toy/travel than performance. Never played one or seen one in person so form your own opinion.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Absolutely correct about the DeArmond, (used to be Guild), Ashbory using Silicone strings... While it is an excellent travel bass and a fine practice instrument, it is also a unique instrument that is well suited for gigging... I use mine on a fairly regular basis, and it definitely nails a psuedo upright sound. I've also used it in community theater, (You're a Good Man Charlie Brown), and it was great!

Now I'll have to gig it this weekend... See what you've done now!! :D

-robert

4. even if you CAN find rubber strings, they won't work unless your bass has a piezo pickup. most pickups are magnetic, therefore you need metal strings to make them work.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Perhaps they were tapewound strings, or Elixers (sp).

6. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    Rotosound and Ernie Ball used to make steel-core Nylon Wrapped strings in the 70's/80's, Real dull sounding but easy on the fingers...(and you could get them in Red or Black!)......groovy.:cool:

7. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    rllefebv:
    How would you describe the feel of the rubber strings compared to a regular 34" scale metallic string bass?

It seems like it would be like a really loose b-string on a 5-string bass or a wet noodle....which is why I shy away from 5-strings. I thought about getting the Ashbory for travel fun but have never seen one in a store to try. Fernandes guitar Company also makes a similar bass but I have not seen any specs for what type of strings it uses.

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    LB... There's a definite 'feel' to them. The Ashbory feels nothing like a 34" scale EB. The strings are a tad sticky, but are quite managable with a small amount of taclum powder rubbed on your hands. Soft playing is the key... They are very loose, but after about 10 minutes, I got the hang of it. I bought it on a lark and quickly realized that I could use it in the 'real' world...

-robert

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The Ashbory is a totally different beast, feel-wise. You can't really bang on it; you have to settle down, take a deep breath, and concentrate. Not only because of the floppiness of the strings, but because the scale length is only 18" or so, the "fret" positions are pretty close together. I have discovered I need to approach it the same way as my string bass -- can't play too fast and flashy, can't play in tune up high; gotta keep it simple.

All of that having been said, it is a surprisingly reasonable sonic substitute for a plugged-in string bass, as rllefebv has noted. Lots easier to load in, too...