1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ruby Throated Humming Bird, U.S. map

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jim Kernan, Apr 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    LBS-bass, T_Bone_TL and bholder like this.
  2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Yep, been going to check it for this year, looks like we might have another week (or given the current weather here, longer, if they have any sense.)

Jim Kernan and bholder like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Still snowing here, so I hope they have the sense to wait.

Jim Kernan and T_Bone_TL like this.
  4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Snowing earlier, switched to rain during dinner, still cold and miserable and no flowers. Well, OK, there are snowdrops, which have been out since February. And a few Crocuses which have snapped tight after trying to open when it was warm a few days back. Not many flowers.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    My crocuses (crocii?) are already up - but they obviously have no sense. :D

6. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    Mine too, including some in another area.

7. Cool map. We don't get ruby throated in Colorado, but we get the green ones. They come through in late April, early May, but we're supposed to have a snowy spring. They always hit my feeder.

Jim Kernan likes this.
  8. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    That's awesome. My Anna's have been here all winter. I have a few photos from last year of them snuggled up to the trouble light I put against the feeder.

Passinwind and Jim Kernan like this.
  9. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    I'd like to see those photos.

10. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    I'll try. For whatever reason, I seem to be unable to post photos here these days. Probably I just forgot how to do it, but usually I get smarter and remember again. You may have to pm me your email address :help:

Jim Kernan likes this.
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    This is an adult male Anna's hummingbird from several years ago, I am also in SW Washington State. The pic was taken through a closed window so it's not the greatest artistically. Not to mention that all that snowfall wasted my janky old gate latticework.

Anna's hummers are here year round as well, and the first migratory Rufous hummer males showed up about a week ago. I used to participate on the now defunct Rufous mapping project on the same site (hummingbirds.net), my location was always among the earliest reports in the Pacific Northwet east of the Cascades year to year. I usually hear them for a day or two before I actually see the first one, but they are very easy to identify positively that way once you've been around them for a while.

Snow%20%20Hummer4.

Jim Kernan likes this.
  12. Don't know the species, but we definitely have hummingbirds around the property. Don't have a feeder but we landscaped the yard and planted lots of draught tolerant and be and bird friendly plants (neighbor has bee boxes). Have a couple seed feeders but I think now I'll grab a sugar water feeder thingy.

Slight derail but lately I've had to be vigilant about closing the gate. Was gardening this week and found a suspicious dug up area with a giant poo in it. Upon closer inspection it was full of hair.

I knew we had bobcat but now I know we got a coyote or two. Never heard them though, and they are loud. Very loud when they do that roll call thing at night. Nature be crazy y'all!

Jim Kernan likes this.
  13. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    The Ruby Throated were the only ones that we ever saw when I lived back east. Here in California we have so many species. I hope the RTs will fare well during this difficult winter.

Jim Kernan likes this.