Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rude keyboardist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by joseph moore, Nov 17, 2002.

1. joseph moore

joseph moore

Nov 24, 2001
    waldorf, md
    I play for a church. The keyboardist in charge of the music ministry,who proudly admits to never having any instruction,and dosen't plan on ever getting any, likes to left hand a bass line over top of me. It sounds like a big jumble when he does that. When I try to talk to him about he plays the ignore game. He also turns his drum machine on over the drummer. We lost one drummer because of him. The one we have now,who I work closely with says he just continues to play regardless of how the music sounds. Does any one have or has ever had this problem? How did you handle it? What should I do?

2. Tell him that if he wants to have anyone playing with him, he needs to keep his left hand no lower than an octave below middle C, and ditch the drum machine. I've quit bands over very similar things.

Or, point out the pattern of disaffected personnel to the pastor, who's really the arbiter here.

3. Noknok

Noknok Guest

Nov 3, 2002
    Medford, Oregon USA
    my dad's band had a BLIND keyboard player, he was amazing... unfortunately, he was also a complete ****, he was pampered since he lost his vision (after already learning keyboard), he is the cockiest person alive, you cant talk to him about music, it's always him him him "he look, i'm blind, do whatever i say."... although he was a good keyboardist, he liked to do his own thing, take over the song, even sing (which he couldn't do very well at all, but cant say that to him, cause that would be picking on a disabled person.) the band finally got the nerve to just kick him out after he decided he was worth more then the rest of the band and demanded a bigger share of the profit on gigs.

unfortunately, in your case, he seems to be in charge, is that right? the only thing you can do is probably go to someone higher up and explain that he isn't being a team player, if you cant reason with him.

Edit (BB) LANGUAGE!

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Tell him that he's part of an ensamble, and not a soloist. Everyone has their part, if there is no point in you being there because he feels he can take care of it on his own then let him know that you feel that way, and he may need to find someone else.

In a church worship band, youd imagine that there wouldnt be such selfish people who forget about the fact that he's working with others.

Peace
    Nick

5. Superglue the keys of the lowest octaves on the keyboard and give his drum-machine a good whack with a sledgehammer.
    Or if you don't want to ruin his equipment, hide the drum machine and break the fingers in his left hand.

Seriously, have you talked to other members of the band about this ?
    If you and the other band members can form a united front on this, he'll almost have to comply ...
    unless he really wants to play solo, if he does, let him.
    Do what Nick Man said, but you'll stand stronger if you do it togheter with other bandmembers, I'm pretty sure you already have the drummer on your side, right ?
    What if you and the drummer stop playing the next time he does it, won't he get the message then ?

6. Go over his head to the lead Pastor. You've talked to him enough, if he doesn't/won't get it, go to the next level. Let the lead Pastor know that you cannot continue in this situation. If it does continue, walk. I wouldn't stay in a situation where you a not being respected as a musician. It's not worth it.

7. i knew a Joseph Moore once (ex girlfriends brother), he was rather eccentric, he grew a patchy beard and wore t shirts with the sleeves cutoff in november. he looked like he wrestled gators in the bayou down n louisiana. :D

confront the keyboardist straight up, tell them that the band is a team effort and hes not a team player and thats not working for the team. then make him the waterboy. :)

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Last time a keyboard player did that to me I 'accidentally' dropped the cover on his fingers....

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    bands and ensembles are about being a team, unless specifically agreed otherwise upfront. You don't need to be in a position like that. If you can deal with finding a new musical situation, the bring it up to the pastor, and let him know the deal. If you can't bear to leave this situation, I feel you can't really say much, but the occassional talk to the keyboard player I guess is best.

The best of those two is to talk to the keys player and the pastor, and the band to see if they feel it is a problem also.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There are many keyboardist/worship leaders out there. Many often lead worship by themselves and play to fill the whole range without the aide of other players. Based on his playing style, this sounds like him.

I would talk to him again. Perhaps the band as a group should talk to him if they share the concern. Share with him you are in this for the same reason that he is and voice your concerns again. He really should know that having other players gives him great freedom as a worship leader, and he should take advantage of it.

This may be a learning experience for him.

If he persists in doing what he does, you should either deal with it or step down from your position.

You are certainly free to speak with the pastor, but if the pastor has chosen him to lead worship, then he is likely confident that he is the right person.

Your concerns are not likely of the type that the pastor would either understand or appreciate.

Above all, see that Christ is reflecting in YOUR actions.

Chas

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This is one of the reasons why I sequence all the keyboard parts.:D

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Amen!

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ew, i like this idea,,, YEAH DO THIS ONE!!!

14. I thought you belonged to a very strange church when I read this:

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If the Pastor of your Church can't help you, try consulting.....

"A Higher Authority".

16. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Joseph..
    Not all keyboardist.. but alot are.. really strange.
    They simply cant comprehend what a guitar or bass is for sometime.
    My dad and me get in the fights about it all the time. Hes a hammond type guy and hes always like "well i dont see why you make your guitar or bass go out of tune. Why do you tune it to D if you already have a D string. Why cant you just use the one on the bass instead of making it sound horrible and out of tune.
    There is also a keyboardist at my church that turns the lead guitarist down because the lead guitarist(my teacher) solos.. and the keyboardist is stuck up and hates mike(my teacher) so he turns him down on solos. SUCKS BADLY
    I would easily say mike is as good as hammet or Vai.. and thats no lie.
    .. His name is Mike Elledge(hes a studio cat)
    anyway.. yeah he went crazy on this tapping solo sunday morning and don had him turned all the way down im just like ***!!! argh!

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    As a pianist myself, I gotta say, this is bull****.

18. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I think you miss the point. We're not talking about people who can play some keyboard/piano.

We're refering to the
    "I'm a keyboardist" "This is my instrument" "Can I bum some money, get a ride to rehearsal, show up to the gig late (if at all), these are my other gig clothes"
    kind of "Dudes". :rolleyes: ;)

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I am a pianist, piano is my main instrument. I'm not a bass player who can play some piano, I'm a piano player who plays the bass.

20. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, there's always the exception. All I know is that in 25 years of professional, full time playing the guy in the band that always seemed most likely to be......well.....a little.....strange has been the keyboardist. Thats not to say he may not have also been the best player or nicest guy (I've known many a perfectly good guitarist to be a perfect a**hole!).