Rudy Sarzo's new job -Y. Malmsteen bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FCM3, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Hi All:
    Got back last night from the new Yngwie Malmsteen "ATTACK" tour (actually the ticket says guitar god tour) and had an amazing surprise at the concert. I know Malmsteen just finished the G3 tour, so I knew his playing chops would be up to speed, but i didn't expect to see a bass player be able to keep up w/ him chop for chop and lick for lick. Yngwie came out w/ super long (below mid back) curly hair and wailing arppegiated runs and then the bassist entered and double these amazing malmsteen runs w/ his fingers. I had no idea who he was. The bassist was short, skinny, w/ short dark hair. For the first 4 or 5 songs the bassist just played the usually malmsteen stuff, then the bass player started playing on top of his head, over the top of his neck, then malmsteen and him traded off hand over the top licks.
    By 2/3 of the show i was more impressed w/ the bassist (as was my G/F), becuz he played the heck out of the bass and kept up w/ Yngwie. At the end of a rocking blues song (yes yngwie can reel it in if he has too) Yngwie introduced the "newest" member of his band and called him a bass playing legend , then he announced Rudy sarzo. Holy smokes........
    What i did think was cool is rudy used alot of raking technique and alot of horizontal movement to play the malmsteen runs where yngwie always plays vertically. Rudy also has an interesting Rt hand technique, where his hand is in a C-shape resting near the bridge and he uses each finger to hit the nearby string, i didn't see any up-down movements. He played what looked like a custom Peavy 4 string (flame maple top) neck thru, dual soapbars, w/ a 8X10 Cab.
    Overall Yngwie still packs 'em in, and he's still playing as good as he did when i saw him back in the mid 90s, however the mix could have been better and having a monster swed double bass drummer was very hard to compete w/ frequency wise, so Rudy disappeared alot.

George Lynch (ex-Dokken)-who looks alot like a short haired tommy lee, opened for yngwie and still sounds amazing, his lead playing was more-or-less Van-halen-ish tapping. However his song writing was more creative. His bass player looked to be 18yr old (no offense to young player-it looked like the bassist could even legally drink yet) and played an 8-string yamaha BX bass, which kept having to be tuned every song, what a pain-in-the-butt for him.
    Overall a great show
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Thanks for the concert review...I know that Guitar Gods show is coming to Chicago this month and was unsure whether I wanted to I do for sure.

I saw the G3 show this year and enjoyed seeing Yngwie although I spend a lot of time laughing...but I had a great time.

I like the Lynch-era Dokken stuff so this concert has just become a must-see.
  3. Isn't Malmsteen really egotistical?
  4. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    that's awesome, rudy is a great showman live and so is yngwie, that would be a great show to see
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Judging by the number of times that Yngwie paused during his set at the G3 show to quench his thirst, I'd guess that it ain't doughnuts that's doing it...
  6. I wasn't gonna mention anythng abou Yngwies new look, but apparently being clean and off high performance pharmaceuticals, hasn't supressed his appetite. He was very round, and looked large. He wore a pirate like shirt unbuttoned to the navel and his belly showed below it.
    He is absolutely a top end entertainers first and laughs, kicks picks into the crowd, plays every way imaginable and still kicks major botty playing his style
    AS for egotistical, dunno, i suspect hes pretty sure in his playing.
    Yngwie has a new scottish lead singer who is pretty funny, he cracked jokes about Houston, his inability to keep up w/ drinking in the band, and not being an acomplished player just a singer.
  7. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm going to try and make the show here in Sac. on the 20th.
  8. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Saw the show and it was great, but one problem. The show was outside at a bar/club and the police shut it down at around 12 AM. I had a feeling this was going to happen when I found out the show was going to be outside. I mean this bar is right in the middle of a neighborhood, what were they thinking? I could actually hit the nearest house from the stage with a rock, no kidding.
    Oh well, it was a good excuse to get out of the house.
  9. We're opening for this show Saturday here in Cleveland.

What I'm having trouble believing is Sarzo is actually able to play (or keep up with) Malmsteen's material. Guess I'll see/believe it Saturday.

Is the guy from Lynch using a doubled 8 string or a full 8??
  10. lynche's bass player played a doubled 4 string bass. It looked custom made as I have not seen a doubled 4 in that style.
    W/ that said, the damn thing was going out of tune every other song and i spent alot of time staring at his back as he tried to tune during songs and inbetween songs. The bass didn't sound all that ballsy, just chorousy (just like an 8 is supposed to).
    Good luck opening for this show, sounds like a great time. We had no opener here in Houston, althou the audience at the show was nothing but a who's-who in local bands members.