Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rufus DvD

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by godoze, Jun 7, 2004.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just received the DVD and book. THis has reignited my thirst for knowledge. It's been sooo long since college and I haven't hada lesson in 14 years... This makes it harder to wait for september when lessons with RR start,

2. Humph

Humph

May 23, 2004
    Warren, NJ
    I just started last week and bought the Rufus Reid book but didn't get the dvd. Is the dvd also worth it?
    His book seems very good for beginners. There are 10 pages or so of exercises with just open strings. Very good practice for the bow because of all the different rhythmns.

3. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    I too just recently purchased the rufus reid book. What a wealth knowledge! Does anyone have any recommendation for effective exercises to start out with?

4. T Sony

T Sony

Mar 5, 2004
    Canada
    Where can I purchase this book?

I'd definately buy the DVD+Book in a second!

5. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I ordered the DVD plus book through www.rufusreid.com. There's a link to the Jazz Cares Fund, where you can order books and CDs from the artists themselves, and one dollar per item goes to the fund.

One day later, I noticed on Amazon that the DVD is labeled "region "1" (USA and Canada only). I live in Europe, so I emailed my concerns to the Jazz Cares people. Apparently this was forwarded to Mr. Reid himself, who sent me an e-mail in return, saying that there haven't been any problems with aEuropean shippings in the past.

What a class act!

6. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Only 5 days after ordering the book + DVD, I received the package through the mail! :hyper: Pretty fast for a delivery from the US to Europe.

I browsed through the DVD today. Although it's to early to comment on the actual content, I can honestly say that the inspirational value already justifies the money spent. The sound of Mr. Reid's bass alone at the beginning of the DVD is a joy to listen to. When he starts talking, you immediately wish he was your grandfather.

The book came with a "Thank You" note handwritten on the first page by the author himself.

So today I received a great DVD, a great instruction book with the author's autograph, and donated money to an excellent cause in the proces. To quote James B.: I Feel Good!

7. I just ordered my DVD online...................................................................................................sigh...........................its not here yet..................postal service sucks...........