Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" Revisited.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lneal, Jul 11, 2002.

1. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Well, my practice routine had gotten into a rut and I needed something to get me out of it. So, I dug out my old "The Evolving Bassist" book. Figured digging back into that would give me some perspective. Did it ever! Going back over that stuff, even the basic stuff has got me excited about practicing again. So I decided to do the whole book over again. Sometimes the answer is right under your nose!
    Anyone else dig that book, and what are your thoughts on it?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I love that book! It's got information in it that everyone can use - beginner or pro.

3. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    BTW, this would be a good opportunity to discuss ways of breaking out of practice ruts. How do ya'll do it?

4. wallydoesbass

wallydoesbass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Menlo Park, CA
    The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick never lets me down. Almost all of his concepts apply directly to the bass.

5. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    When you do the open string and single octave chord/scale exercises, do you mute the strings with one hand or the other? Any RH string muting tips? I will anchor my RH thumb on an offending open string, but when playing on D and G strings on my 5 string, I hear the E and A resonating too.

6. wallydoesbass

wallydoesbass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Menlo Park, CA
    telemark - I have no great insights regarding muting. I do a lot of right-hand-thumb muting, often muting two adjacent strings at once.