Rugby players/musicians

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chris J, Apr 8, 2003.

1. When I told my cousin I was playing rugby he told me that I was nuts and that musicians should not play rugby. He was saying how you can hurt your hands and never play music again. He's right about the getting hurt part but not the first thing he said. Rugby is such a great sport. Except I just got over a sprained thumb(severe downer on playing bass) and now I just sprained my pinky finger on my fretting hand. Ugh. It's getting shiny because the skin is taught(sp?). Oh well. The only thing that bothers me is that I just learned to play The Number of the Beast. Any other complainers? Anyone else play rugby and music?
  2. I play rugby, and I'ma forward, so you can guess what my job is... :)

I get a LOT of broken nails, which is painful for a few days, no biggy, I think i've broken the top of my pinky tho.. cant put down a lot of pressure..:meh:

I guess, do what you want. sure you can get injured, but its good! something yuo can tell your kids!

"in MY day, we played the wood with 2 fingers! becuase the other 2 were broken up, it was the name back in the day!"

ok yea.. me = sleep. :D
  3. Yeah I'm a 2nd row so I know what you mean. The backs of my hands are all cut up. To be honest, I really don't care unless it gets so bad that it interferes with my regular life. There's no way I'm quitting either. What level do you play at?
  4. im third year scottish, so i think thats grade 9 in the US/Canada.. :meh:

Under 16's maybe? :)
  5. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I've never played a lot of Rugby, but I did play American Football for a long time.

They are similar animals, with Football being more injury prone.

I ripped finger nails off, broke fingers, and wrists (once so bad I couldn't play bass for almost 2 years)...

If the long run you're better off playing sports, it benefits you more than just playing bass.

You could try wearing gloves, they saved my hands from a lot (I played Offensive Line in football my first 3 years of college... and I don't remember the name of the position in Rugby.. but I was always in the middle of the scrum)

Just remember bones and wounds heal.. and if it takes time away from your bass playing.. it will just make you play that much more when you get better .... and it's great from rehabing hand injuries.
  6. When I was at school I played rugby league, and did wrestling, but gave it all away when my band took off. We had a fan club and toured regionally, and had two singles before I left school!!! Those were the days..... sigh.......
    Back then, r n b meant John Mayall, Rolling Stones, Downliners Sect, Eric Clapton, Alexis Korner, Ike Turner etc.
  7. So played rugby in Auckland?! *runs in terror* It just so happens that any team coming from Auckland is my favourite. NPC, Super 12, it's all good. I'd love to see a game.

Supposedly the New Zealand Maori are supposed to tour in Canada this summer and stop by Ottawa(where I live)...unless my sources are out of date. Have you heard of a Canadian tour by any chance?

Oh for the record I'm in my last year of high school and I'm on a varsity team so I guess men's under 19 would be me.

Someone told me that rugby players have contacts all over the world. All of them are associated with rugby and all of them are just as messed up as the last. I guess there's some truth to it.
  8. It's me with the ball! :meh: :D
  9. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, I play, at my High school.
    I'm 15, so put me in whatever division I fit where you live...

I play 2nd row and occassionally prop. I've never (luckily) had anything that affected my playing. Most injuries I get (minor anyway) are legs and head, so bass is alright...

Fun sport it is...
  10. mikarre

mikarre Guest

I didn't play rugby, but I played (American)football in highschool and for a season in college. Yeah, you'll get busted up, but probably nothing life-long. When you get older and can't play rugby anymore, you'll always have the bass. Play rugby while you can, is what I say. You don't want to have regrets later in life. It looks like a fun sport. Have a blast and knock some heads!
  11. I've played rugby for 11 years now and it has only once ever stopped me from playing bass - when I dislocated my shoulder. Even then, the break was only for about a week until I was able to start playing bass again. Put bluntly, if you sustain injuries (whether minor or serious) that stop you from being able to play bass regularly, then you're not fit to play rugby. I personally don't see a decision ever coming in which I'll have to choose one or the other.
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Both of my uncle's on my dad's side played football in high school and one of them in college. They both have bad knees and shoulders and whatnot from old football injuries. Although if they were bassplayers I doubt their pains would be enough to stop them from playing bass.
  13. mikarre

mikarre Guest

You're right, for sure. I really meant in a bass-oriented way. Some days I wake up and feel like a living wreck. My knees aren't bad, but my neck, back, and shoulders sure feel it.
  14. Was talking to our drummer last night, and remembered this thread!

He used to play rugby as a back, but got injured - knee caved in! :eek:
    He had to get plastic bones inserted on his knee to keep stability. It hasnt affected his bass drum 'fitness' that bad, probably can't go as fast with that leg as the other though..

Would be funny seeing him run, start veering off to the side. lol. :eek: :cool:
  15. I used to play rugby union but converted to rugby league a couple of years back. I've had a couple of injuries that have affected my bass playing but it's a great game and definitely worth it. I play second row and sometimes prop.
  16. Hi Chris J. Nah, I played rugby league, which is an Australian version of rugby, just as tough but faster. Sorry I dont know of any Canadian tour. The Auckland Blues Super 12 team is on a roll this year.
  17. Yeah let's hope the Blues keep this up. To be honest I was surprised that Otago beat them. But I don't think it will be a problem. I've kind of played what my coach calls rugby league but it was really just deck the ball and keep going. No rucks or mauls or scrums. Bad pass results in kick to other team. League is prolly really different from this.
  18. i play rugby, i'm the tight head prop, and i play bass, i hurt my legs a lot more than my arms, but i did sprain a thumb last weekend in a game, luckily, it was on my fretting hand, i'm currently playing for the Rochester Rebels for spring 15's, and the Rochester Aardvarks for 7's over the summer, we're in the middle of our spring season right now, hopefully we win our league, we win the northeast and we go to Dallas to play in the high school nationals
  19. I played rugby for almost twenty years (flanker then outside centre), along with karate and aikido. Most of the injuries i've had have been leg and body injuries. A front row fat boy stood on my hand once and busted it, but, ten days in plaster and it was good as new:D . Plus all that rugby training makes it easier to carry the PA.