Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rugger Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marson, Feb 28, 2006.

1. OK I Personnaly am a Rugby player... and I was jsut wondering if any one else here enjoys it as wel. So I would like to use this forum to just talk about rugger..... So did any one see the scotland vs England match at all?( I'm not muhc of a nothern hemisphere rugger guy but it's still a topic) or just simply state who ur favorite player and why?l

2. Yeah, love it Marson.

Really disappointed by the Scotland/England result, but fair play to the Scots, their defense was a unit last weekend.

I went to University near Twickenham (also near where the Harlequins play) It was a big rugby university, and it was great. I used to follow Richmond a lot. I've got a bit heavier and wheezier than when I played a few years ago, but it's the motivation for me to get fit again.

There's nothing like the sound of a scrum coming together to get your blood up!!

3. :D

;)

4. haha yes except when you play in the front row its never good lol I play back row:smug: ya i thought that the scotland win was a good one for them it was a real upset and it makes me feel good because England won on a lucky droppy in '03 ( me being from the land down under:) ) I find it nice when ever they loose , no offence its a pride thing.... but I find the welsh team to start becoming overatted and wash up gavin is just not star material anymore and colin charvis isnt a match for the southerm hemispher loose trios such as ( juan smith , schalk burger , van der nierk or george smith:) , phil waugh and rocky elsom( the perfect back row in my mind) or jerry colins , richie mcCaw and rodney so'oialo) the tri nations back rowers right there and same with eng and i find wilky is just constantly injured now..... u got favorite players whats position do u play?

5. It's a shame about Wilkinson, he's going to find it tough getting back to where he was before IMO. He was a cracking player to watch when he was on song. I obviously love watching England, but that aisde, i'd rather watch Aus, or SA than France or Wales etc.

It's funny because the Welsh were always considered a little bit second rate (no offense intended to anyone) and then overnight, they were supposed to be this world beating force to be reckoned with (much like NZ with Lomu in the 90's except they were awesome) but it never really materialized. The odd win here and there means nothing really, it's consistently. I love the Lions Tours, the last one was cack for the Lions, but I can't wait til the next, now there is an awsome force on their day!!

I was a tighthead prop for a longtime, but cos I was big and I could run, I played all over the pack until I didn't experience a growth spurt, and stayed at 5'6"! Now I play mostly hooker.

Favourite player of all time?

Martin Johnson. What a man!!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm a Rugby fan - used to play at school...

My nephew (sister's son) is playing for England Colleges now as Number 8 and I'm looking forward to seeing him make his way in the England setup...:)

7. That pretty cool did martin not retire i could remeber a testimonial game in his name? and lomu played in it i remeber that , personally I'm a George Smith fan, and to Bruce it would be nice to see any kid to have a dream to become a professional rugger player and see it happen , but good for him, back to Elwood , the lions tour never impresses me coming from the southern world I enjoyed watching those blokes get beaten by the home side all the time , The AB's realy put up a good showing on that tour and when the played the aussies 8 years ago the wallabies beat them 2-1 in the series so that was nice , and wilkinson realy is a good player but he is jsut accident proned so it might be hard for him to PLAY again, and with the welsh they never were consistent , they lost to canada in '93 , Canada!!! for christ sakes its just a shame, and for the hooker part hookers can make huge impact on games such as Keven Mealamu or Jeremy Paul they make huge effects on games so its all good , but i prefer my back row position it allows me to get around easier and i love stealing the ball in the tackle its jsut something i do soo well for some reason jsut disrupting ball is jsut a knack for me , u have a preffered moment on games ? ( e.x scrums , rucks , line outs , open field play , mauls etc etc..)

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Very cool sport, I try to watch a game regularly, and I'm getting the rules down, too.

9. It's a great sport I think more people should discover it and participate in the sport any way possible I truly love it , t being my life considering I come from where it's our national sport.

10. I don't follow it, but it's becoming a popular club sport in US colleges, including the one I go to.

11. seems interesting U.S is getting into it now and days but they are no where close to atually PLAYING rugby there more ......... wanting to play to rugby since it's like watching the special ed kids play but all in all it's starting to become more popular every where which is good.

12. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Rugby is for woman. I play beach volleyball like a real man should. Mmmhmmmmm.

13. :eyebrow: so your saying that a sport played behind a net in little swimming shorts on a beach , hitting a soft round ball and the hugging shirtless when you score after being sweaty and covered in suntan lotion manly?

14. It's the national religion over here, so I watch a bit, but I don't play.

15. Yes, I know I have a couple Kiwi friends , which is quite funny when we play rugger against each other cause he keeps comment on me being a dumb aussie which for some reason has nothing to do with what we would be doing at the moment.....

16. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well of course I do, what you don't?

17. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    rugby's like american football...only stuff actually happens...

great sport, loved playing at school. been following england's downturn recently, crap new coach i'm afraid. some questionable replacements for some old war-horses too...not keen on harry ellis, seems too small and not tenacious enough to take over from the still very capable and bullying matt dawson.

and martin corry shouldn't be captain, he's too much of a non-entity.

and scotland were lucky ;) defended well, but played as dull as england did that match.

18. GO SCOTLAND!

Fantastic game against England. If the Scots can muster defence like that in other games then we'll do well this year. The tackling the other weekend was just awesome... OK, so it's not very attacking, fluent rugby, but it was certainly a lesson in how to work as a team.

Oh yeah, and it was nice to put the spoilers on England's hopes of the Grand Slam.

Again.

:hides:

19. of course of course i do:eyebrow:
    But Any who Scotland did play very well I found ( defensively of course) it was quite nice to see, and now the red rose has to go to france to play the blues and it wont be an easy task might kill there hopes of the 6 nations nvm the grand slam but meh doesn't matter much to me none of them are my team( that I support) so I'm just gonna see who has the best chance of upsetting us..... anyway anybody watch the super 14/ southern hemisphere rugger at all?

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I know it takes leather balls to play rugby. ;)