Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ruined Wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Nov 24, 2004.

1. How many of you experienced guys have trashed some expensive wood? I just ruined a $100 seven piece neck blank and I'm feeling quite sick about it. I was smoothing out the sides of the neck with a router when it grabbed a hugh chunk of wood and ripped it out. Its right where the fretboard meets the neck. The fretboard would be hanging about 1/8" over this gap so it's not repairable.

Man that stinks!!!

Anybody got some morale support to offer?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    When I was getting my custom bass built:
    [​IMG]

The builder was shaping the neck when it was fully glued up (ie body wings and all) and he sanded the neck to close and the graphite bars came through the back of the neck. He had to basically scrap that bass and rebuild the whole thing (into the one I have now), but you can imagine an indentical one basically just junked!

Moral: At least it was just the neck on yours! (but major bummer anyway).

3. Make it a 3 string- or a mini bass for kids. Seriously, I built my (18 month old @ the time) son a toy bass, later a 26" scale 5 string fretless, more or less as practice. I was a bit surprised; it plays very well. Next is something pink for little sister. If you don't have or know any little people, someone on ebay does!
    Mark,that bass is beautiful! What is it? Full frontal?

4. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    Use purple heart.

Hey funkula, can we see a pic? When I built my second bass the router grabed a chunk outta the headstock as I was shaping it, I managed to fix it pretty much seamlessly though.

DANG!

[​IMG]

Fixing...

[​IMG]

VOILA!

[​IMG]

I used a cut-off of the headstock to make a pretty seamless repair, it also helped that it was on the treble side too.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I don't want to sidetrack the thread, but its made by an Australian lutheir, Neil Kennedy:
    [​IMG]

He was pretty upset about breaking the first one because by that stage a lot of wood has gone into the bass and been glued up. What was more amazing though was that he still managed to deliver the bass on time even though he had to start from scratch on rebuilding it!

6. I'm with the Evil one here...Let's see some pics! I bet we can put our heads together and come up with some way to snatch it from the jaws of the wood stove.

I've always said that it often matters more how you recover from a fubar than the fact it happened in the first place.

On my last Fairlane, I had the guide bearing come off of the binding cutter and I sank it into the top not once but TWICE!! Fortunately, I was able to match up the grain and replace the divot but it was nip and tuck there for awhile.

Hey it happens

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Wasn't it our precious Hambone, who repeatedly said somthing like..."it's not about how you do it right, it's about how you cover your messups"?

IMLE, most mishaps can be repaired, and the others can be "covered" in some other way. An a lot of them don't matter!

8. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Hey, that's how I develop new designs... by cutting off the parts I screw up!

just kidding........but barely :rolleyes:

like Hammy said, post pics. I bet it can be fixed.

9. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    count_funkula

the exact same thing happened (twice!) to me while building a guitar and a bass. I ended up shaving the neck and fingerboard down with a jointer equally on both sides and glued a piece of wood over both the fingerboard and neck. It looks like the figerboard in binded, but it the piece of wood is alos part of the neck. You can partially see it on this pic

[​IMG]

the wood i used is purpleheart, you can see it around the cocobolo on the headstock, and around the ebony fingerboard. It from the same piece of wood.

10. Hey that's the way masters like Michangelo did it. He just cut away all the marble that didn't look like David and he was done.

Simple as that. :D

11. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Still no photo? I agree let us see :hyper: ......t

12. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Where on the neck is it? Headstock side? Or heel side? Can you turn a p width neck into a jazz by narrowing down both sides? Need photos..............T

13. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    My guess is that you can fix it. Take a picture and get some input from the gang and you'll find a way.

Everyone ruins wood now and then. The more experienced you are, the better the fix looks.

BTW, learning to resaw bookmatched tops is a good way to ruin some nice wood, if you need it.

14. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    What do you mean? It's easy with the proper setup.

15. Thanks guys. I'll try to get some pictures of it. My digital camera is broken at the moment.