1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ruins

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chris-piano, Apr 2, 2006.

1. I can't believe how overlloked this group is!

They've been making incredible music for bass and drums since 1985. Theyre almost certainly the blueprint for any act on 31g and the bass playing is great too. Good spokesfolk for pick playing, i can never work out how to convincingly keep a pick ready for changeovers but after seeing some vids I think i might try again!

Have a look out for some of their albums: Vrresto, Hyderomastgroningem and Tzomborgha float my boat the most personally.

Anyone else into these gents? Apparently it's just the drummer now under the name ruins-alone and he's been through several bassists but hey over 20 years of music making probably makes you fairly anal about who you work with!

2. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Ruins has been a huge inspiration to me (heck, that's even where my user name comes from). I actually heard about them from fellow Magma fans who said the drummer, who I now know as Tatsuya Yoshida, loved Magma and was influenced greatly by them. After finding a record of theirs at a local record store, I sat in awe at the spastic time signature changes, bizzare psuedo chants, and amazing medleys! Amazing band.

3. NOW WE'RE TALKING!!! Great band I got Tzomborga and the one with Derek Bailey... good stuff... Yes I think that the drummer is still "auditioning " bassists...

I still haven't heard Magma, I gotta check them out...

4. Zeuhl indeed

5. Has anyone heard any of the solo stuff? Does the drummer chap just play and sing in an operatic voice? I can't imagine how that would work but i'd love to hear it all the same!

I can't get hold of any Magma stuff, but id definately be into hearing some of it, I get the impression i probably wont like it as much, most bands' influences tend to be a little more restrained, but anyone that invents their own language has got to be a little interesting!

Do they ever tour the uk?

6. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'm pretty sure he plays to pre-recorded stuff that he triggers live. There was an article on some obscure website that had mentioned this. It would be interesting if he jammed with local musicians of whatever area he was playing in.

It's pretty intense progressive rock meets jazz type of thing with really bizzare lyrics. The bassist (who's name escapes me) is a high caliber player and amazing to listen to. I ordered their CDs from random sites since no music store had them.

7. Janick Top was their most famous bassist.

8. and now produces Celine Dion...

[​IMG]

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Zeuhl bands invent their own languages. I don't know if it's true for all of 'em, but I believe it's true for Ruins and Magma.

Speaking of cool Zeuhl, I really like the band Koenjihyakkei. But that band is more focused on organ, guitar, and vocals. Ruins is of course a lot more fun (for us) because of the virtuoso bass playing.

I haven't heard Magma in decades... not since they were played on college progressive radio. All their albums I've found are expensive imports. :(