Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rules For Chord Solos/melodies

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by contraman, Nov 9, 2003.

1. I would like to know the ground rules for writing the right harmonic notes over a melody. My objective is to learn the ground rules and teach myself how to do it with any melody. I'm just beginning to tinker on a keyboard just playing chords. I have a couple of real books so I have no shortage of material. Just as an example "But not for me" is interesting at first glance as an example as the book also has a Coltrane version(his choice of harmony fascinates me). :D

2. By this, do you mean "What chords to play under a melody", or "How to harmonize a melody with a second voice, given a set of chord changes"?

Your term "harmonic notes" is ambiguous. In any case, this is a very large can of worms!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Marke Levine's "Jazz Theory Book" has some chapters on Coltrane's ideas on harmony and how to harmonise tunes according to "Coltrane Changes".

I would suggest buying that and working through it - the chapters cover what you need to know and work up from simplest concepts to more complex ones with examples you can play.

It's a life-long study though - and not something you can cover in a few lines in a post here!

4. Thankyou for the suggestion. I am picking an ordered copy of Levine's jazz theory from the local music shop today. I'm excited :D. I Can't wait to begin this leg of my musical journey!

5. How to harmonise a melody with 2 or more voicings with chord changes.

7. What are you talking about Howard ?

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Are you having imaginary conversations with me again Paul?

;)

As an aside I just checked amazon.co.uk and the aforementionmed jazz theory book was priced at £100 second hand in the UK!!!

9. I hate to gloat. O.K, I'm lying I do like to gloat. I picked up a new addtion of jazz theory book for $85 Australian ,similar to what you would pay in the US. Conversion rate $1au=72cU.S. $1 AU= 32pence. :bassist:

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    From the book "What Makes Music Work" by Philip Seyer, Allan Novick, Paul Harmon

You can also find this information in a music theory text.

11. Bruce Lindfield

I bought the Jazz Theory Book new in the UK for £30 - and the shops have loads of copies....:confused:

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well that makes me feel better - that's just what I do :)

13. I'm paying about 27.2 pounds and I had to order mine the other chap said that AMAZON was paying 100 pounds 2nd hand. That seems a bit rich.;)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - that was what I was responding to, really.