Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rules for "For Sale" ads?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by MJ5150, Dec 7, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Anyone else get frustrated with "For Sale" ads posted with no price and no location? It can be a waste of time to PM/e-mail someone just to find out some basic information that should be there in the first place. At least I think so.

Is there any way we could make and enforce a rule that price, and location of item be clearly stated in the initial post?

-Mike

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Perhaps a separate sub-forum...."For Sale with price" and "For Sale make an offer" :D

Actually I think its fine if people put the ads that they want. If people dont want to put a price or details, the chance of them selling something greatly decreases. Perhaps a sticky saying what basic information "should" be included in the ads, but I dont think you can force someone to put up a price if they want a best offer.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sure you can. Everyone has a bottom dollar price they will take on an item. What's so wrong with, as an example:

$500/OBO

That way we all have a ground floor to work from. No one has to guess if he will take $400, or whatever. Those with that much cash know right away if they have a chance, those with $400 know not to bother.

I guess this came to be a bigger issue for me recently since I am shopping for a bass, amp, and cab. I just get tired of sending "Where are you located, and how much do you want for your ____?" PMs.

-Mike

4. Being in the UK, the main issue for me is that it is difficult to see if there are any items for sale in my area. Consequently, I don't look in the FS area much... so maybe the seller loses out because of a sale, but I, a prospective buyer, also lose out. I'm sure you can relate, Mark...