1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rules? What Rules? Slight Rant ;-)

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by FranF, Oct 1, 2013.

1. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Is it me (say it ain't so!) or are lots of folks, both old and new, stretching the rules lately? Nearly daily now we see Sale stuff with no price, or folks not waiting a day between bumps, or putting parts in the Basses For Sale section, or putting PA mixers in the Accessories section, etc. I try very hard to maintain some standards, being an old dude that listened to what Mom said, sometimes any way!:rolleyes: And no amount of gentle reminders or sarcasm gets them to fix it up. very frustrating! Okay, off the soapbox!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've noticed a lot of "what's my bass worth" threads lately from non-supporting members.

3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    That too! I must add too that its not a knock on the mods, who have to oversee thousands of posts a day, just a knock on people who think the rule page is for wusses...

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A supporting membership is 6 cents a day. There's worse ways to spend money.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, even though I try to obey all the rules myself, my take is a bit different. I think the market here will somewhat police itself. I also think that things work better when the rules are a guideline, and not the end all be all. In other words, er on the side of letting some things go.

If some new kid asks the value of his bass without contributing, just post a reminder and move on.

If someone posts a for sale ad without a price, post a reminder, ask the price, and move on.

If something gets put in the wrong for sale section, post a quick reminder and move on.

I haven't noticed enough of this stuff to drag down my overall TB experience. It's just not as important to me as it is to allow this forum a daily routine that isn't so rigid.

If every small rule breaker were stomped on every time he broke a rule, this place would be a lot less interesting. I have noticed a tendency of the mods to let some things go. Many Off Topic discussions have walked the line of breaking topic rules. But for the most part nobody got hurt and the conversations were very interesting as a result of allowing everyone to lay it all out there (to an extent).

Don't let it stress you out so much. I would rather have less organization and more interesting things going on than the reverse.

Also, I would argue that most people who sign up don't even KNOW there are rules pages, much less have they read them.

6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Indeed !

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hi, it's impossible for us to read every single post made on TB so we rely enormously on post reports from users. If you see a rule breaking post, use the red triangle report post icon and all mods of that forum will get a message and look into it.

8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I don't use the red ! icon because it says it's just for harassment and abuse type complaints. But I will remember that in the future! Thanks!

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's not nearly as annoying as people not closing their For Sale threads after the item has sold. That drive me crazy.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  10. A HUGE +1 billion.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Seems to me these type of posts fall into the abuse category. Not so much for abusing other TBrs but for abusing TB policies.

When I report a post for whatever, I usually ask for a "review of the post for possible rules violation" or "review of the thread" without a lot of details or my opinion, respecting the mod's decision making power.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    When in doubt, report the post. We can then decide if action should be taken. It makes our jobs much easier when posts get reported.

13. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Well, Yes, but I keep mine open until the buyer has received the item and has left feedback. It's only fair to leave an open thread until this happens in case there is a mishap and the buyer wants to bring to light a problem with the buyer to the public.

Probably a bit more in my part than is needed, but I'm all about a fair and honest deal for everyone involved.

Once the buyer receives it and is happy, I close the thread.

14. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I see absolutely no reason to leave the FS thread open if it's just so the buyer has the ability to post again. Closing the FS thread keeps it from being bumped to the top - a FS thread is not for discussion and would not be the place for a buyer to post a grievance/comment in the first place. That's better suited to PM, a new discussion thread in the appropriate sub-forum or via communication with a mod/admin.

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This. As soon as an item sells, the FS thread needs to be closed.

16. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Ah. Alright then :)

17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There's an active for sale thread with 4 pages of bumps. Bump after bump after bump. Im pretty sure the rules say something about cleaning out previous bumps.

18. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Plus it should be once every 24 hours. Not once a day, 24 hours! I see many bumps a day at times. Grrrrr... :)

19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ya gotta report that! Please! We don't have time to read every thread, so we rely a lot on users reporting posts so that we can deal with the issues. ;)

20. Bhazulle

Bhazulle

Dec 3, 2013
    Ferron, Utah
    Really, I read the rules but it's ok to post yourself more then once a day to clarify a question or post an asked for picture or bit of data isn't it?