1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rumble 100, 200 and 500 same volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thisisntme, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Yes, huge difference, buy the 500

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Yes, small difference, don't buy the 500 if you aren't getting an extension cab

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. No, no difference, save your money and buy an amp and cab separate.

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. thisisntme

thisisntme

Feb 18, 2016
    I have a Rumble 100 and I'm looking to upgrade to something a bit louder

I went to a music store and tried out the rumble 100, 200, and 500, but, I couldn't actually hear a noticeable increase in volume between the three, maybe a slight increase between the 100 and 200, but nothing much. (also my apologies for testing all of your bass amps with the master volume maxxed out, I hope I didn't ruin the structural foundation of your building)

Am I mishearing? Is there really a larger difference between these amps that I'm missing? I know that the 200 and 500 have tweeters, but I turned them off for the sake of the comparison.

I know you can buy a $300 1x15 rumble extension cab. Might it be more worth my money to buy a light 600 watt class D amp and a light cab like the rumble 115 600W?
    Are there better lightweight cabinets out there near that pricepoint?

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    how much louder do you need to be? what kind of music are you playing and how hard-hitting is your drummer?

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  3. thisisntme

thisisntme

Feb 18, 2016
    Moderately loud drummer, we play classic rock as well as more modern death from above / royal blood type stuff. I can't actually really hear myself during practice in a small room, and when the gig doesn't have a good FOH, the tones that you can hear from my rumble 100 sound distorted and bad. My amp is loud enough pretty much only if there is a nice FOH and the sound guy lets me plug in.

I frequently use my MicroPOG and my sourceblox bass distortion pedal

4. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I'll echo the sentiments above by saying your current band/gig situation is the deciding factor, as well as how much gear you're willing to carry.

If you are playing heavier music with octave/distortion effects and actively gigging, I would go for the largest setup you can afford and easily move yourself. If you like the Rumble series, I would go for a Rumble 500 head and 4x10 cabinet, or a pair of the 1x15 or 2x10 cabinets. The 4x10 is only $100 more than the 1x15 and $50 more than the 2x10 so they are pretty close in price individually, but the 4x10 is the heaviest of the series.

From a value perspective, the 500 head + 4x10 will give you the most bang for your buck. You also could add a second 4x10 down the road if you want a decibel overload. I personally wouldn't get just one 2x10 or just the Rumble 500 combo to use solo in a loud environment with octave effects. I own a pair of the Rumble 2x10 cabs and they work much better together as a pair than solo in my experience, especially with an octave pedal (I have an Aguilar Octamizer).

Depending on how the used market is in your area, you could snap up some excellent deals locally, too. The bigger and heavier the amp/cabinet, the cheaper people tend to list it at sometimes due to being unable to ship it economically. Ampeg 8x10 cabinets and many varieties of 4x10 cabinets are fairly easy to find for $400 or less used, if you're able to handle the bulk. You may even find some used Rumbles nearby, given their popularity. For heads, the GK RB series amps can be found used for $300-400 pretty often and are very powerful. The same would go for some rackmount Ampeg heads or similar, due to the popularity of compact class D heads.

5. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I'd say that the 100 definitely sounds quieter. The 200 can be pretty darn loud, and there probably isn't a huge difference in volume if you're not adding speakers. A 15" speaker has more surface area than 2x10 right off the bat, and probably sounds louder than 2x10, although not as clear and punchy. You reach a point of diminishing returns when you add power to without adding surface area to the speakers. Plugging into the combo you might not hear a volume difference. Add a cabinet and you might find that the 200 is maxing out while the 500 has headroom. Doubling the wattage of an amp only adds a few DBs to the top end, but it makes a huge difference in how the amp comes across.

6. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    You've stumbled on a dirty secret! Don't tell anyone. I assume you aren't playing huge clubs where you need to move a lot of air and have no PA support. Buy 2 lightweight 8 ohm cabinets; use one if you don't need the extra volume, use both if you do.

Also:
    This is a myth, I think. "Surface area" is not really the thing; and anyway a 210 has more of it, but it really depends on the speakers. At a lower price point, a 210 will usually outperform a 115.

lfmn16 and Rumbledore like this.
  7. thisisntme

thisisntme

Feb 18, 2016
    I'm sure surface area has some effect (it might be nullified by the size of the voice coils or the excursion of the speakers), and (15/2)^2 is larger than ((10/2)^2)*2 so the 1x15 does actually have more surface area.

8. daveman50

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Speaker Surface Area

etc. etc. Not just a matter of calculating the area of a nominal cone size.

That is all on that abstruse topic. I'll stick with my advice: buy 2 cabinets, either 210's or 115's (2 of the same ones, not mix and match), depending on how you like the sound, and all will be well.

J-Bassomatic and Rumbledore like this.
  9. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    The 500 does not run at 500 until you hook up an extension.......

10. daveman50

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Watts are cheap today, but many people I see playing out have WAY more amp than they need.

theevilplankton likes this.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My personal experience has always been that if you want to hear a significant increase in volume you need at least 4x the power. So you should be able to easily hear a difference between the 100 and 500. Between the 200 and either of the other two, not so much. Of course that is assuming driving the same speakers in all cases. Keep in mind you may have to really crank the amps to tell in the first place. Don't just be setting all the volume knobs the same.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  12. thisisntme

thisisntme

Feb 18, 2016
    I cranked the amps all the way up, I couldn't even really tell that much of a difference between the 100 and 500.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  13. thisisntme

thisisntme

Feb 18, 2016
    Yes, I get this. But, rather than having two bulky cabinets, might it make more sense to get the 4x10 or the 1x15 extension cab and a 600 watt amplifier?

14. If you need to be that loud (and I'm glad I'm not attending your gigs....) then you're better off with a separate head and cabinet. I like the idea of the 500 head and 4x10 cab, as that will move more air.

BTW: if you can't hear yourself in rehearsal, everyone else needs to TURN THE DAMN VOLUME DOWN!

bmac314, BazzaBass, BEADG63 and 6 others like this.
  15. thisisntme

thisisntme

Feb 18, 2016
    Its a very small room, everyone else is using combo amps. The guitarists don't have full stacks, they are playing through blue jrs. and vox AC15.

16. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Thats your call to make for sure - I just wanted to chime in b/c the 200 and 500 without cab are really very similar, and that was not stated anywhere, for folks reading the thread that might not be aware

I find my 500, which i just grabbed b/c it was super cheap used, keeps up well with a drummer and two guitarists

J_Bass, Giffro and 78Stingray like this.
  17. That doesn't sound bad, but could still be damaging your hearing. If you can't hear yourself, they need to turn down, not you turn up.

PlatoFunFactory likes this.
  18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    A couple things, if I may.
    Vox amps are insanely loud compared to their ratings. I read a report that an AC30, when run for "optimal tone" can put out almost 100 watts of power.
    I'd imagine the AC15 to be similar.

Secondly, the Rumbles have an interesting midscoop to them. Before you spend the cash for different equipment, try this: leave your Bass and High Mid knobs at noon, crank the Low Mids all the way, and bring down the Treble to around 9 o'clock.
    This will give you a flat frequency response, and no, it may not sound that great to you by itself, but don't adjust it until you're with the whole band and can hear what it sounds like in the mix.
    The trick of mids is that that's where our tone is. Even if your amp doesn't have that much low end, you can crank low mids and sit well in the mix.

And I would eventually upgrade your amp, but first it helps to know what actually works in your situation.
    For most of my gigs, the Rumble 500 combo would be fine, but that's also because I know how to use EQ to get where I want to go.

19. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    this may be a dumb question and i didnt look it up so here goes,,,do they not make the rumble 350 anymore..cuz mine rocks and is in a sweetspot between 200 and 500..just curious

20. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    The 350 is discontinued, but the current 500 head and combo is 350 watts at 8 ohms, 500 at 4 ohms.

whero likes this.