1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rumble 200 External Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FenderB, Jan 29, 2017.

1. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    My Rumble 200 has a External Speaker plug and I'd like to know what the purpose of this is, aside from the obvious (an external speaker). Why would you want an external speaker, what does it bring to the mix? What kind of speaker would you use, another bass speaker or one that has more of a treble side to it? The plate on the back says 8 ohms min, 100 watt. Being a new bass player I don't know yet what a lot of the extras on this amp are for or what they do, the instruction sheet that came with it leaves a lot to be desired. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Jack

2. The obvious: you can connect another cab (8 ohm). The not so obvious: connecting another 8 ohm cab brings the total load on the amplifier to 4 ohms, which allows an addition, though minor, amount of power. The major gain is a significant increase in maximum volume, and improved tone when high volume is required. And, if you vertically stack the combo and external cab, you (and the band) can much more easily hear what you're playing. The best cab to use would be the Rumble 115, as it is a close match to the cab portion of the combo. Other combinations are a throw of the dice.

FenderB likes this.
  3. I have the 200 combo. Everything Astrosonic said is good information.
    Allow me to expand on that.

Without an external speaker, the amp is rated for 140 watts with it's own internal speaker, which is 8 Ohms.
    When you add an external speaker, it needs to also be 8 Ohms. Two 8 Ohm speakers gives you a load on the amp of 4 Ohms. This allows the amp to operate at it's maximum rated power of 200 watts. Because our ears don't perceive increases in loudness in a linear manner related to increased power, the extra 60 watts is minimally noticeable.
    Where the extra speakers shines is that it moves more air.

A perceived increase in loudness is closer to being linear with more speaker surface area than it is with a power increase .
    The Rumble 115 extension cab and the speaker in your combo are both 15 inches in diameter.
    The effect is that you will not only get a slight increase from the extra 60 watts, but you will get almost twice as loud with the extra 15" cab.

Any of the Fender Rumble extension cabs will work with your combo. Another nice choice is the Rumble 112 12" extension.
    Finally, another advantage in having the extension is that rather than working 140 watts into one speaker, you will be working 100 watts into each speaker. This allows each if the two speakers to not have to work as hard as the one by itself.

There is no technical reason you can't add a different brand of cab, but the Rumble cabs are the best choice as they are designed to work with the Rumble amps. The only cautions in this are... Be sure the extension speaker is 8 Ohms, not 4 Ohms. Adding a 4 Ohm cab will make your total speaker load (Ohms) lower than what the amp was designed for. This is what the 8 Ohm/100 watts by the Jack is telling you. Use and an 8 Ohm cab rated to handle a minimum of 100 watts.

FenderB, Linnin and AstroSonic like this.
  4. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks AstroSonic and OG-Bander that explains a lot. If I understand you correctly then if I were to buy the 115 or 112 "cabinet only" I would plug that into the back of my 200 Combo and both would be powered by the amp in the 200 and both would be operated by the controls on the 200.

5. Yup! That's how it works.

FenderB and AstroSonic like this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    In fact they are one and the same Eminence 15" ceramic-ferrite driven woofer in each, and are therefore a perfect match for each other. The Rumble 115 cabinet is larger dimensionally then that the Rumble 200 combo as it was made to match up with the dimensions of the Rumble 410 cabinet.
    The Rumble 112 is a dimensional match for the Rumble 200 combo by depth and width. It is designed to be a sonic compliment to the Rumble 200 combo. Both the Rumble 115 and Rumble 112 cabinets cost the very same $299 each, so take your pick. There are Fender Rumble Club members with both configurations.

7. I think if you lay the combo on it's side and put it on top of the 115 they are the same size in that dimension.

Unlike with tube amps, the Rumbles work just fine on their sides. :roflmao:
    -OK... a bit of humor... just kidding about tube amps having to be upright.
    You need to get use to that around here.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes, that is true, and you get an easy to reach vertical control array. It's all good either way. The whacked out OCD bunch have their little hissy fits over it, but so what? I'd pick the Rumble 115 for the benefit of the coupling effect of matched drivers.

Old Garage-Bander and AstroSonic like this.