1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rumble 30 or?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pudge, Oct 20, 2013.

1. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    My old peavey gave up this week.I was a looking at a rumble 30.What else is decent in that price range?

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The fender rumble 30 is a pretty good choice for home practice. there's also the acoustic b30.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg BA110 is another nice little practice amp you might want to check out.

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Pudge, I don't know your financial situation, or where you live, but if there is a Guitar Center or simular music store within a few hours drive I would encourage you to go there and personally audition all the bass amps in your price range.

If you're talking $200 tops then your top three contenders are going to be:

Fender Rumble 30 - A high quality personal practice amp with excellent tone even if low in power.

Ampeg BA-110: 35 watts from a well known manufacturer.

Peavey Max 110: 100 watts; $200 Very attractive on paper, but you have to hear it for yourself.

So go and audition them side-by-side, and bring your own bass for the continuity of familiarity. If you practice with headphones at all (I do about half the time), be sure to plug in a good set and listen to that tonal output also.

Have fun doing it! :)

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I have not heard the new Peavey Max II, which is much more powerful than before. The Rumble comes in second to the Ampeg so it's between the yet-to-be-heard Peavey and the Ampeg, in my book.

6. As an alternative, what about fixing your old Peavey? Usually they are very simple to repair.

7. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Soo I can offer some personal experience here.

I was in need of a small, budget amp, but I'm picky about tone. Liked the Fender Rumble 30, but I heard an Ampeg BA 110 minutes to buying the Rumble and there was absolutely no comparison. Immediately bought the BA 110 instead.

It was the sweetest amp I have ever heard at that size and price. Very smooth, big low end and tight, focused sound. I always find practice/cheap amps sound kind of loose and average sounding. The BA 110 has a very vintage-vibe sound that reminds me a bit of an SVT but somehow a little more modern.

Very, VERY nice amp in this range. I never heard anything better. I wish I kept mine honestly.

8. My 2 cents, forget the rumble. I'd go Ampeg or the Acoustic. I've owned all three, not in the 30 watt but the 50watt 1 12 Ampeg, still own it and play the heck out of it.Started with the Acoustic B20 moved up to the B100 and traded it in within the 30 days for the B200. Traded it in for the B200 head and the 115. Traded that for the rumble 350.:rollno:What a mistake! Traded that in for the Acoustic B300 and a 115MKII. Try to play all three, but They always sound differant in the store. Really liked the rumble till I brought it home and to practice. Only used it once to gig. Just wasn't my sound. I love the ampeg sound but I can get damn close with the acoustic and I still have cash left over. Good luck with what ever you get/choose.

9. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    the Fender Bronco is really a decent amp 40W 10"spk....plenty loud for home, not bad for some jams......has XLR for PA support.. etc etc, tuner built in, , compression, FX, recording software, tone modelling software......tons of modelling tones including something called a Rockin' Peg :D

it is a helluva package

10. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Thanks for your input,i'll get one of them tomorrow.

11. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I got to play a B-110,perfect for home practice amp.I went to the local place I deal with when I buy localThey were out of stock on the ampeg and rumble 30.So I swallowed a handful of broken glass and went to GC.Waited forever and them some, gave up and i'll order it online today,Enough of GC.I should have one in my hands sometime next week.One the good side I did play a music man SUB,outstanding for the price I prob. would have left with one of the two I played but they wore me down.The GC is tougher than they look.

12. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    After much fooling around I received my AMPEG BA-110 from sweetwater today.Plays well with my also new to me BIRDSONG EAGLET.What a great comact pair these make!I tried the rumble 30 and the ampeg neither seemed better than the other in the limited amount of time I had to play with them.But the ampeg seemed a better fit.I really couldn't be happier with it.