1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rumble 40 tone question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcake, Nov 5, 2018.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    can you get a decent modern, somewhat hifi sound from a rumble 40?

i tried a couple in guitar centers and one at a sam ash store, but the stores were very noisy, and the sam ash had it set up so it was playing directly into my face, so i'm not sure what was going on. i know a lot of people recommended it to me, and it's got some good features and is very light weight.

i tried a rumble 25 yesterday at a quieter guitar center with a dedicated bass room. sounded good with some basses but not too good with others. i also tried a rumble 100, which actually weighs the same as the rumble 25. it could have been the room and location, but mostly it seemed like i got a muddy sound except when the bass was cranked all the way down, but while it does have an fx loop, which i like, i have a head with an fx loop and i'm looking for a lightweight, small amp that won't need to get above livingroom volume.

so, can the rumble 40 deliver a fairly modern, less bass heavy tone with a more articulate sound?

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    guess i should have posted this in the rumble club thread...

3. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Still can.

4. IME, you can get 'modern' mids and highs, but not bass (it's too strongly voiced) from the stock Rumble 40. After modeling several drivers, I changed out the driver for an Eminence Basslite S2010, added acoustic damping and retuned. See this thread (Fender Rumble v3 40 - First Impressions), especially posts 16 and 29 for details. Besides a better tone, you also get more volume and a little less weight. For a plug-n-play solution, consider the GK bass combos.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I think you can dial in a fairly modern tone if you want to, but it would probably involve cranking some controls way up and some way down, which gives you a little less leeway, depending on the bass. It’s not really where the Rumble naturally wants to go tonewise, so if that’s the tone you’re looking for, you might be better served trying out other brands, such as GK.

6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Active monitors do hifi pretty well. They don't have handles for portability, or much of anything in tone control typically, but I love miine for the same purpose you are shopping for. Plus since they are in my libing room, they are my speakers for prerecorded music too.