1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rumble 500 and Subway 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beavisplaysbass, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    Well I am going to buy one of these two class D amps. I was looking for any positives/negatives that these amp may have that the demo videos are not going to show. I haven't seen any in the nearby stores either. Most of them just carry the usual, Ampeg, GK and markbass stuff.
    Side note: My LH500 crapped out after 9 months, going on warranty to be the back up amp.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    As good as the Rumble is, it isn't in the same class as the Subway. If you can afford it, the Subway is certainly the way to go.

3. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    One of the biggest things I noticed about the Subway was the impedance switch. Made me contemplate buying a third 112 Hydrive and daisy chaining them.

4. I have a Rumble 500. Love it to death. My local music store has a Subway 800. Both I and the music store employees were dissatisfied with the sound of the Subway vs. the Rumble. That's just our opinion. That being said, the Subway has more features and I'm sure is built better. Mesa is known for their superb quality. Just my .02.

5. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    Would you use the drive feature on the Rumble over an OD pedal?

amusicalperson likes this.
  6. Too be honest I don't really play much music that required an OD so I don't use one. I could give it a go tomorrow and give you my opinion on the OD tone. I personally leave the "Vintage" circuit on at all times, sounds amazing.

7. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    The Rumble is cheaper for a reason. The Mesa is in a totally different class. Buy the Subway. You won't be disappointed.

Buzz E and B-string like this.
  8. Large difference in amp classes, only your ears can tell which is a better match for you. Someone elses YouTube will tell you very little and depends on too many variables in the recording, transfer and playback.

9. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    When my Streamliner 900 died, Fender offered me a Rumble 500 as a replacement. I was a bit disappointed thinking that it was a backwards step but I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised! The Rumble 500 is a great amp and does every thing I'd expect an amp to do. Don't use the OD though so can't comment.

Thundar and WRM like this.
  10. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The Fender Rumble's Overdrive is extremely well designed and very versatile. There are a ton of various dirt box pedals on the market, and it all depends on your tone goals as to what sounds good, right, and dirty to you.

I have never liked Mesa, so I would never even consider owning one.

A new D-Class bass amp that I really like from what I've heard so far is the award winning Genzler 800. It also has a built in OD like the Rumble, but also has some very unique and attractive tone sculpting features. It will also run three 8 ohm cabs if that is your desire.

If you like 12's, be sure to look into the new Genzler cabs all loaded with Faital Neos. For a more vintage vibe Rumble 112 loaded with ceramic-ferrite driven Eminence are just the ticket. Especially if you go with the Rumble 500 head.

WRM likes this.
  11. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I own both, well I have the Rumble 500 combo, been using it for band practice weekly for over 3 months now....very happy with it so far, sounds great and is able to keep up with 2 loud guitarists. Has been rock solid and dependable. I just picked up the Subway D800, using it for home practice right now and will use it more once we start rehearsing back at my house (I leave the Rumble 500 at our current rehearsal space since I'm lazy:))

I don't think you could go wrong either way....hell, they are cheap enough that I would say buy both and rotate using them and keep one or the other as a backup.

WRM likes this.
  12. jbravo

jbravo

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I do have both, and they're both great amps. One costs twice what the other does.
    That being said, the Mesa is my main amp, and the Rumble comes along as an able backup...

image.

tombowlus likes this.
  13. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    It's either daisy chain, 3 1x12 Hydrives or trade them in for 2 1x15's (not necessarily Hartkes). That's what I'm debating on cab wise at the moment.

14. jbravo

jbravo

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I'm playing both heads (one a a time:)) through two GK MBE 210s. I'm finding that the GK cabs are not really up to either, if you want to use the deep switch on the Mesa, or heavy low/low mids on either head.

I've been kicking around what to do about it, and at this point I'm planning on buying 2 Mesa subway 15's, and 1 Mesa subway 12. Due to the cost I'll have to buy one at a time, so it'll probably be June or July before I get them all.

From what I've read, the Hydrives are a better quality cab than the mbe's, thus the higher price point. My suggestion would be buy your new head first, and try it with the Hydrives first, then consider options if needed.

I'd also point out that the fender with two channels has a more useful overdrive if you want self contained heavy distortion.
    The Mesa's gain knob will give you a really nice "edge" though if that's more what your after....

15. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    Haven't seen a Subway locally to try, but I have nothing but praise for my Rumble.

16. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    If you decide on the Fender Rumble 500 theres one in the classifieds for 290.00 in new condition...they are 399.00 brand new...

17. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    I appreciate the piece of knowledge, but I don't buy products without a return option; and I don't use/have pay pal.
    The Hydrives sound great, its just that 2 of them isn't enough with a hard hitting drummer. 3 would be, 4x12 would have nice head room. I don't go into distortion levels anymore ("edge" or drive would be nice though).