1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rumble 500 combo vs Aguilar Th350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Bates, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Eric Bates

Eric Bates

Jan 9, 2016
    After years playing drums I've moved over to the bass. Not in a band right now but I'm wanting to get my self ready to play out. I can't see my self playing any place bigger then an average bar size venue. Any comparison between the Rumble 500 combo vs an Aguilar Th350 head with an Aguilar 112 cab with the option to add a cab to the rumble or another 112 cab to the Aguilar head and cab. The Rumble seems like a nice, light package with plenty of power at a much cheaper price. The Aguilar looks like a really quality little amp/cab but is it worth almost twice the cost? Does the Aguilar set up have any more potential?

2. Andrew Welsh

Andrew Welsh

Jun 23, 2015
    Hey, I have a rumble 75 which sounds great! It is loud enough to fill a school gynasium so would easily work for any smaller bar venues. From experience the rumble is a great rig.

3. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I consider the Fender an entry level but giggable combo. The Aguilar is definitely a professional quality rig. Not knocking the fender at all, but I believe the Aguilar is far ahead of it build wise. The tone is going to depend on what you're looking for. Both sound good to my ears. I own an Aguilar, though.

4. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I don't care for the super mid forward nature of Aguilar. I've found they don't have solid bottom end. So I care not for them.

Fender Rumbles bring you classic Fender tone. A full taut bottom end. Solid meaty mids and soaring airy highs. Far more professional than amps costing two or three times as much.

Yahboy and jlepre like this.
  5. You should really try them both if possible. Some people consider Aguilar cabinets the cadillac of bass cabinets.
    I prefer the overdrive of the TH350 over that of Fender heads & combos.
    The TH350 has an EQ knob for 40 Hz, so you can definitely inject all the bottom end you like. The fact is it's too low for my Markbass cabinet that has a frequency response down to 60 Hz.

6. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    They're not even comparable. As has been said the Rumble is entry level stuff. The Aguilar is a class (or two!) above.

Buzz E and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    are those your only two options?

8. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I very much noticed that, and that's what turned me off. If I can't have a fabulously tight & taut bottom end with intense definition, that amp is no good to me. Aguliar is no good. Fender Rumbles are stellar overachievers.

jlepre and lowsideonacurve like this.
  9. I was thinking the same thing actually. This is like comparing apples to oranges.

If you want it lighter & cheaper, then Fender.

If you're willing to overlook the added 10-15 lbs. for the Aguilar sound, then you won't be disappointed.

1960jbass likes this.
  10. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Hardly. Aggies cost more, yes. But are they better? NO! Different, yes. Better? NO!

jlepre likes this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Hey @Super_Freak bring your Aggie TH350 head over to my place and do a direct one-on-one to my Fender Rumble 350 head. Do it! Why not?

jlepre likes this.
  12. I've heard the Rumbles & the Tone Hammers side by side at Sam Ash in Richmond. I prefer Aguilar, but I would never say flatly that Fender is "no good".

I was playing through a Fender Rumble 500 combo on Thursday last week (at the Fender dealer), and still prefer the Tone Hammer.

edit/add: I think I've got a pretty good setup with the Tone Hammer head & a Markbass 2x10, because the Markbass cabinet is only 30 lbs.

The Aguilar 1x12 is 45 lbs.

That's the great part about having a head+cab setup, you're not locked in to what speakers you're going to use.
    No one says you NEED to buy an Aguilar cabinet to go with the Tone Hammer amp.

You might even be able to find a used Tone Hammer & cabinet.

13. I should add that I was basically sold on a Tone Hammer, except the price, from the first time I tried one.
    There is a TH500 at the nearest Sam Ash & I thought it sounded more like a tube amp than any SS amp I'd ever heard.
    Your other option, if you like the Tone Hammer sound, is to get a Tone Hammer pedal to use with the Rumble 500.

There is one in my local pawn shop for about $100.

IMG_20151231_105454-TB.

14. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    The aguilar was worth twice the cost to me. I love it so much. The rumble is a good amp too though, a great amp for the price but it's no tone hammer

velalv and Killed_by_Death like this.
  15. Build quality aside, these rigs sound very different to my ears. The Fender is plenty good for local gigs - you should always bring a backup though (for the Aggies too). If you are going on a cross country tour, then build quality becomes more important.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. Eric Bates

Eric Bates

Jan 9, 2016
    I know it's all about personal preference so it's a hard question to answer or impossible to answer. I'm going with a th350 and a db112. I got a good deal on the cab so looking for the th350 now. I'm sure the fender would have been fine also. At my level it's all about getting experience so I'm starting with Aguilar. Thanks

17. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    I think you made a good choice. I don't k ow if you have read much about the amp but the drive knob is quite cool. As you turn it up it cuts the real low lows and some of the highs too with a slight high mid boost.
    Also it pays to have the master all the way up and use the gain as the volume, if you want clean. It's a bit unique in the way the gain drive and master work but once you get used to it, it's really awsome

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  18. Eric Bates

Eric Bates

Jan 9, 2016
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to playing with it. It seems pretty common to see used 500's but haven't seen a 350 yet. I'm gonna have to be patient.

19. Eric Bates

Eric Bates

Jan 9, 2016
    Wow. One just came up in the classifieds. Hopefully I'll have it soon.

arai likes this.
  20. Eric Bates

Eric Bates

Jan 9, 2016
    I'm excited. I have an Aguilar db112 and a th350 on their way to go with my p bass, and the cab is in tweed. It'll look good too.

velalv, arai and Killed_by_Death like this.