1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rumble 500 Extension Cab Necessary?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J03YW, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Hey guys, starting some new bands this spring and I have absolutely no idea what an appropriate volume is. I used the Rumble 500 for a show choir band in high school, so the whole band kept it pretty tame so as not to overpower the choir. I found that the amp had no issues keeping up with drums (obviously), but the drummer wasn't hitting too hard and we were in auditoriums and gymnasiums which may have some acoustic properties that I don't understand. Anyways, I want to use this amp for some punk/shoegaze bands this spring with some drummers who I know hit hard. We will likely be playing basement/house shows, and I'm just wondering if I'd need to pick up an extension cabinet to keep up with him and a guitarist. Would it be necessary/beneficial or will I just deafen my friends?

Edit: I typically play distorted and with a pick FWIW

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I would try putting it up on a stand, getting it closer to ear level for easier monitoring.

Then I'd also consider adding an adjustable HPF.

Also, go wireless so you can hear how you sit in the mix. This will let you know how things really are.

Then consider adding an extension cab.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  3. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Just curious, what's the reasoning for this? Related note: I use a guitar distortion pedal that axes lots of lows in the first place. I'm pretty heavy on the mids.

4. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Or pick up bassman 8x10, if too loud you can always turn it down, if not loud enough you in heap big trouble

5. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    I live in apartments man I can't lug a fridge lol

pht2356 likes this.
  6. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Actually, the advice re elevating amp should help immensely. I'm sure you'll be just fine w/500w rumble

7. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, I definitely need to get it off my floor to get rid of the boominess regardless

8. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I bought the Rumble 500c a few years ago with the intention of getting an extension cab shortly after, I still haven't found myself in a situation where I could justify buying one.

(That doesn't mean I don't want one ;) )

jfh2112 and Wisebass like this.
  9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi J03YW :)

Before you get another cab...

1+

...get a beer crate! Best garage punk amp stand solution of all times! :D (and dirt cheap!)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

JRA and el murdoque like this.
  10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    The 500 you're talking about is a 210, right?

For me personally I'd probably want a little more cabinet against hard hitting drummers - but who knows, in your situation you might not need it. I'd say try at a rehearsal and see how it stacks up - you can always order the extension when you determine it's needed (even if it turns out you're underpowered for a rehearsal).

One other thing to a consider, I'm not a fan of running my cabs to the limit. I tend to believe they'll last longer if given a bit of breathing room. I've ruined drivers in the past for pushing just too hard over extended periods of time (years).

11. These two posts address your question directly. And I think they both offer good advice.

Headroom is a beautiful thing. It is the power that you have available but that you don’t use, most of the time. The more headroom you have the better situated you are to handle peak excursions in power and speaker operation. Adding a second cab (if it’s needed) will get you a whole lot louder than if you were to throw more power at the problem. Without it you have about 350 watts hitting a pair of 10s. With it you split 500 watts between each pair. This gives you headroom in your speakers and since you likely won’t have to crank you amp up as much, it can give you more amp headroom.

Getting your speakers up closer to your ear level (the closer the better) will allow you to hear yourself better. If you have the second cab stack them so you have all four in a vertical configuration. This also helps with how you sound out front, where it really matters.

The HPF can help control how your speakers react to low frequencies. It seems counter intuitive to want to roll off the low end, but doing so will tighten up the bottom end and this may allow for more power to be applied before you experience speaker distress, or just flabby sounding lows. You can use your EQ to do this to some degree, but the HPF is better designed for this purpose.

Going wireless allows you to get out front to see how you sound. Your on stage sound can be very different from the sound you create 20 or 30 feet out. The first time I was able to listen to my amp from way out front, I was blown away by how much better it sounded. Ayou can’t mix sound from speakers very well unless they are designed to be near field monitors. This brings me to a question?

Are you depending on your rig to provide sound for the whole venue or will you be playing through some sort of house P.A. system. That, to my thinking is the first question to ask in determining how loud you need to be.

12. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Rising the cab and / or pointing it at your ears will make YOU hear yourself better. In my loud band (as in stupid loud, bring earplugs or go deaf loud), it is more important that the drummer can hear what I am doing. There are a lot of passages where there is ample room for improvisations and to get the dynamics tight, the drummer needs to hear me.

When the guitar plays a 50+ watts tube head into a 212 or even worse a 412 cab, you will need more cabinet than 210.

IMO there is a huge difference between being audible in a mix when cutting lows, pushing mids, ommiting fuzz pedals and pointing the speakers into the right direction and being audible no matter what.
    The latter is what I need to be happy.

hisdudeness likes this.
  13. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    This....getting it up off the floor and pointed at your ears rather than the back of your legs can make a huge difference. Find a good stand, road case, create, etc.....

14. As others have mentioned getting it off the ground will help immensely. Of course, one awesome way to get it off the ground is to put an extension cab under it. Do you need an extension cab to play the shows you describe? Probably not. Is it something that you may find yourself wanting very soon which would not only help with your current volume needs, but allow you to be able to play bigger shows down the road? Definitely. I probably don't need most of the equipment I have.
    BTW that is a Rumble 500 head with a 410 and 115 cab behind me in my avatar. You are off to a great start equipment wise. Good Luck.

15. I don’t NEED any of my gear.

I drool therefore I am.

The two items at the top of my, “I didn’t win the lotto, be realistic” want list are a second cab for my Rum 200 and a HPF. Of course the “lotto rig” would be something quite different or two. :D Oh, and a HPF.

16. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    IMO the best way to get a 2x10 up closer to your ears is to stack it on top of a matching 2x10. A vertical 1x4 array is a beautiful thing.

jmhaslip, JRA, funkinbottom and 2 others like this.
  17. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Why not just try the combo by itself, and if it's not enough then pick up the extension cab?! Pretty simple plan.

JRA, funkinbottom and howlin like this.
  18. 2x500Cs are much better value for money then buying an extension cab

19. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    For getting your amp up off the floor I've been using one of these for years. Light. Compact. Cheap. Efficient. What's not to like?

20. KokaKola

KokaKola

Jan 21, 2015
    Kalamazoo MI
    I have the 500 combo and the 2x10 extension cab. I did play some shows with just the combo before I bought the extension, and with PA support it was totally fine. I’m in a semi loud four peice rock band. The extension cab does get it closer to your ears, which is extremely helpful in addition to letting you use the full wattage of the combo. I have played plenty of house shows with no PA support and having the extra headroom and height really helps. Aside from all that, the combo and extension cab are so light bringing both is easier than moving my old 6x10 or 2x15 cabs everywhere. I would definitely recommend this rig to most people looking for a good combination of price/weight/volume. I think it’d cover your needs for quite awhile.

Crusher47, hisdudeness and Lobster11 like this.