1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rumble 500 head settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slowhand44, Jan 7, 2018.

1. slowhand44

slowhand44

Jan 7, 2018
    So I want to know how to get the most out of my sound. I play a 5 string standard P (American). Rumble 500 head, a 1x15 cab, and a 4x10 cab. I'm looking for a nice clean sound that punches. We play in small venues, and some outdoor venues. Country rock/classic rock genre. Any suggestions on how to to set up this amp head and cabinet horns?

2. dls119

dls119

Jun 27, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'm in a similar situation, I usually use precision basses and/or 5 strings and have a rumble 500 head and cabinets. I play in a 90s cover band with this set up, so my settings are designed to accommodate the variety in our sets. I play in small to moderately sized (~300) indoor venues as well as open outdoor venues. I usually have the tone knob on my precisions rolled off a little bit, but if I want more punch, I'll open them up.

My settings:
    Rumble 500 Head - Vintage, Gain around 9-10 o'clock, start with flat EQ, adjust master as needed. Depending on the room, I either boost or cut my mids to keep myself out of the mud. Bass and Treble stay at 12 o'clock 99% of the time.
    Rumble 1x12 Cab - Horn on
    Rumble 1x12 Cab - Horn off

3. Somewhere on this site is a nice guide to setting up your Rumble amps to get different sounds.
    I'm not sure exactly where to tell you to look, but maybe someone else here can provide a link.

4. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    The Fender Rumble Club here on TB has lotsa info 'bout these amps and how to use 'em.

There's even a Tone Pool listing several settings that members use, or have tried.

The Fender Rumble Club Wiki page link in my signature has summaries of lots of this info and links to all this, and more.

Hope this helps.

Linnin likes this.
  5. Yes! The Tone Pool. That's what I was trying to think of. Thank you.

G-Dog likes this.
  6. slowhand44

slowhand44

Jan 7, 2018
    Thanks a bunch, I'll try it!

7. slowhand44

slowhand44

Jan 7, 2018

8. slowhand44

slowhand44

Jan 7, 2018
    Great, thank you, I'll check it out!

G-Dog likes this.
  9. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Good luck, @slowhand44. Please share your results with the folks in the Fender Rumble Club,, where you may get even more tips!

Linnin likes this.