1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rumble 500 head with Mesa Ultralight 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McClure, Jun 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. McClure

McClure

Jun 13, 2018
    Is this a crazy combination?
    I was at the store today trying out the Mesa D800 against some other amps. I actually thought the Rumble 500 head with a Rumble 210 sounded really good considering it's half the price of a D800 and Ultralight 115. I did think the Fender 210 sounded a bit harsh and unrefined compared to the Mesa, but there was something about the Fender sound I liked better. But I liked that low end from the Mesa.

After leaving the store, it occurred to me that I could get the Fender head and the Mesa 115 and hopefully have the best of both worlds. Is this nuts?

Thanks,

2. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    It's certainly worth a second audition if the store has both to try that combination out. I've used my Rumble 500 head with my Orange 1x15 on several occasions with good results. If this is going to be your main setup and budget allows, though, it might be worth investing in the matching D800 head as their build quality is really good. At the end of the day, you'll have to let your ears decide!

3. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I don't think it's nuts. You like the sound of the Fender head, and the Mesa is arguably the best available 15 on the market.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The lack of Speakon outputs on the Fender alone is enough to avoid buying it, but if you like the sound then nothing wrong with that combo. You can always upgrade the amp later, the Subway cab is a 'lifer'.