Rumble 500 vs GK MB210 vs Ampeg BA 210 vs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LT131, Oct 15, 2016.

1. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    A few weeks ago I bought the Rumble 500 and I am quite close to returning it. I just can't get comfortable with it. It has some pros:
    Great volume. Very Great
    Great bottom. Awesome, maybe too awesome.
    Great portability.
    However I just can't get it to "enunciate". I can't get the clarity I sometime want without pretty extreme tone settings. I really want to control Bass/Treble as much as possible from my basses. And, I'm finding the overdrive section not to my taste. The master volume is noisy. Can I live with the Rumble? Absolutely but I'm buying new and want high bang for buck ratio. I do business with Sweetwater and the Combo field under 600 is pretty narrow.

Any of you use the GK or Ampeg? Or something I'm missing. Pros and cons would be much appreciated. I currently play Rock, Country and Western using primarily a PBass.

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Toss the new Hartke KB12 and KB15 into the fray.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    EdO. likes this.
  3. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    What bass are you playing?

OldPlucker likes this.
  4. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Main bass is a Precision.

5. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I think the ultimate rig for you in that price range could be an Ampeg pF350 head with a PF115LF cabinet.
    This is about 650 USD at Sweetwater.
    Then you'll get volume, certainly clarity and the head does respond very well IMO to tweaking, so great tone as well.
    It is technicaly not a combo, but hey, it's lightweight and awesome.
    >> Try Linnen's suggestion and this one, I'm sure there's a winner for you!

6. If you are seeking "enunciation" you should check out the GKs. The MB210 gets loud, cuts nicely in the mix, and has an effective 4 band eq, with all the highs and mids I would ever want and a huge low end that can be dialed back. That said, I prefer the MB212 which is even louder, and the GK 12s are awesome.

7. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The Rumbles pair great with Precisions, so if you don't like the tone you're getting, you're obviously into something else altogether. In that case, GK or Hartke might get you in he ballpark. Or you could keep the Rumble and get a Jazz. :)

dcbassist5 and bushbass like this.
  8. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Thanks for the replies. I'm off to the Rumble club with a question.

9. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    After using one V2 and 2 V3 Rumbles, I gave up on the muddy murkiness and went for more articulation and clarity. I switched to GK and couldn't be happier! You can EQ the GK's to get dark and boomy like the Rumbles, but you'll never get the clarity and definition of the GK's out of any Rumble. SOOOO much more versatility!

AstralBirth, Thummel, TC424 and 5 others like this.
  10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I love the Rumble but the GK will give you volume and clarity.

TC424, 10cc and alaskaleftybass like this.
  11. jaydbass

jaydbass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    GK for sure if you want sharp articulation and a lot of tone shaping possibilities. The ampeg 2x10 is not bad but kind of one dimensional. I started with GK, then strayed to Acoustic, MarkBads and others but ultimately back to a GK rig becuase they are just awesome!

kleinenenten likes this.
  12. GK all the way if you want articulation. Even my older, cheaper, Backline 112 is much more articulate than many other newer and more expensive combos. And the GK EQ is phenomenal for tone shaping. Can't imagine not being able to get any tone I would ever want.

FatFunk and alaskaleftybass like this.
  13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I tried the Fender Rumble, and several other brands against the GK. There wasn't even a contest. GK won hands down for power, clarity, and versatility. And it's a quality product made in the USA with American support. Get your Rumble packed up and run it back to the Post Office. I agree with @SpruceApple -- If you can, buy the ultimate combo-- the GK MB212. Loud, light, and easily transportable. It has 2 x 12's and 500 watts. And it it's not enough, you can get an MBP212 powered cabinet for 1,000 watts of backline! :bassist:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    TonyP- likes this.
  14. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    GK all day. priced right and hard to get a bad sound out of it. end transmission.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  15. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Do the GK combos have a club?

16. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    I know exactly what you are saying...I feel like it's muffled.

I still use it as a practice amp, but when playing out - I bring my Mesa D-800.

I have yet to find a tone with it that I don't like.

17. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    In agreement with the OP, I just couldn't get my Rumble 500 head and 115 cab to give me the tone I was seeking. I thought there was plenty of volume and the build quality was decent, but to me the vintage tone was just too much uncontrolled bottom.

At that same time I also was running the Ampeg BA-210 and even though I was suffering from some quality control issues, the tone was never in question. I currently own a GK practice amp and agreed, I found the quality of its tone is well beyond that of any comparable Rumble.

Different strokes I guess...

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  18. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
  19. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I have the rumble and everything you say is true. That's why I like it. But I get what you're saying. I'm my rock outfit it worked great. So I'm keeping it. I spent the last 4 days playing the GK stuff. It's everything you want that not in the Rumble. If I were you, that's what I'd go with. That's what I'm getting next. You need two amps anyway.

bigtone23 and alaskaleftybass like this.
  20. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Cool avatar! :thumbsup:

packhowitzer likes this.