Rumble 60: Anyone added an extension cab jack to this Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Engineer_Josh, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Engineer_Josh

Engineer_Josh

Apr 26, 2016
    I have and older Fender Rumble 60. It's a nice size amp, it fits well in the trunk of my car, great for practicing and just barely not enough volume for rehearsals. I've been thinking of adding and extension cab jack.

I would do it in series to avoid the potential of not providing enough impedence. I'd use a jack like the switchcraft below so the combo would work as normal when the extension cab wasn't plugged in.

has anyone tried something like this before?

http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/13e_cd.pdf

Linnin likes this.
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Yes - Ampeg in their B15 series amps.

Downside is that the extension in series will reduce the output of the power section. You may well get less total volume in spite of the second driver.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Sounds promising! :thumbsup: Those old V1 Fender Rumbles are still around and still going strong. What would you use for a second cab/woofer? Would buy matching woofers?

4. I did something similar to a Fender Frontman B15. I used a switching Jack to disconnect the internal speaker and just run it to a larger cab. The Frontman had an 8" speaker and minimum load was 8 ohms. So could not parallel another speaker. Used a 12 in" and that by itself was an improvement. Maybe you can do the same and just find a cab of correct impedance that has more speaker area?

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'll agree with this. You can do it, but it probably won't be as loud as the amp by itself.

Upgrade to a GK MB112 with a powered 112 extension cabinet. Tiny amps, weigh nothing, and sound thunderous together, as the extension cabinet has it's own amp so running both together doubles your power instead of dividing it between the two cabinets like other combos.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Plug a powered subwoofer into the effects loop.
    The power soaking lows will go to the sub.
    The mid highs will still go through the fender, but 60 is plenty to cover this.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021