Rumble 800 with Active Basses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Supadope, May 7, 2021.

1. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    My Carvin B1000 is starting to fail. I'm looking at the Fender Rumble 800 as a replacement because it's similar in power & features and can handle a 2ohm load. I have 18v active basses. My Carvin has a -10db pad for active basses. Given most fender basses are passive, I'm concerned my input may be too hot because the Rumble doesn't have a pad. So, my question is how does it perform/behave with 18v active basses?

Thanks,
    Supadope

2. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

The Rumbles let you adjust the Gain like a variable input pad, to the extent that even zero Gain still gives plenty of sound. It's definitely not another volume control. :roflmao: Supa, you should come ask your 18v question in the Fender Rumble Club to get some answers. Both my 9v basses have no problems, even with a little bit of Gain for the Overdrive to add a bit of warmth.

Supadope likes this.
  3. Your bass should/may also have a trim pot for the output on the 18v pre. If you find you are overdriving the input regardless of amp adjustment, that is an option for correcting the concern. I have 2 basses with 18v preamps, and I don't set them to be stupid hot. In fact, my passive P bass with the Billy Sheehan Relentless pickup seems to have more volume than my 18v basses.

Supadope likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Check out the Mesa Subway amps, they are two ohm stable as well and are designed for high output basses. Plus...like your old Carvin...they are made in the USA!!

Supadope likes this.
  5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    There is absolutely no cause for concern. I’ve run some very hot active basses into Rumbles with zero problems.

Supadope likes this.
  6. Supadope

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    Thank you, G-Dog. I may pop into the thread. I play through a Rumble 75 when I jam with The Nutboys. It feels more than 75 watts, which I like.
    Smart idea. I have old Peaveys and I don't recall any trim pots inside, but it's been a long time since I took the covers off. I'll take a look. Thanks.
    I am drawn to the Mesa stuff. The D-800 is probably all I need. And the D-800+ is probably all I'd ever want.
    Excellent. Thank you.

And thanks all for the replies. I'm going to take a hard look at the Mesa's D-800 series and this Rumble 800.

Cheers!

G-Dog likes this.
  7. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Gain down. It's the same thing as a pad.

Supadope likes this.
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    the purpose of 18 volt preamps is to give you overhead ... so use the overhead and turn down the volume on the active bass ... problem solved

9. David McIntire

David McIntire

Apr 5, 2020
    Earth
    My Fender American Deluxe Jazz has an 18v preamp. I've used several different versions of the Rumble heads and combos. Never an issue.

Voltage of the preamp is only one of many factors that can affect a bass guitar's output. And, not all 18v preamps are Output Equal. My G&L M2500 also has an 18v preamp, but its output is an order of magnitude higher than my Jazz. It will overdrive the input of MANY bass amplifiers, even in that amplifier's padded/active input. And, cranking a bass or lo mid control on any bass' onboard preamp, despite voltage, can often result in an overdriven amplifier input. I have used my G&L in a couple Rumble heads and combos. Like was mentioned above? I just reduced my input gain. And had no issues. The Rumble series of amps are excellent. I think you'll be fine.

Supadope likes this.
  10. Supadope

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    Thanks for all the responses!

11. That Old Guy

That Old Guy

Apr 12, 2018