Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rumblefish Bass Blues... :/

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mksolid, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    On Sunday night I won an EBay auction for an awesome looking yellow rumblefish. I received this email today.

"I deeply regret to inform you that today I was contacted by the Wilmington, OH police department and they notified me that the bass up for sale was stolen. I was completely unaware....so I am returning the bass guitar to the owner as of tomorrow morning. If you have already sent payment I will deny it and the money will be refunded to you asap. I apologize once again."

So there's one of two things going on here. Either this guy gets stolen basses from someone. Or he sold it to someone else... what a bummer... his ebay name is rldaze, so beware.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sounds like the seller did the right thing - what's the problem?

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I know your pain. I've had Rumblefish GAS for a long time...ever since they were discontinued. :bawl:

4. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Agreed...it doesn't sound like it was his fault, or that he knew it was stolen...even so :crying:

5. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    That was the only hammered gold Rumblefish ever made. It was made as part of a matching set of guitar and bass for a friend of Joe Naylor (Reverend owner). Joe stated that his friend was trying to get it back, he didn't state whether the reason he was trying to get back was because it was stolen, but that may very much be the case.

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I admit that there is a possiblity that it could be a shady seller, but there are alot of ways that someone could wind up with a bass that was previously stolen without being crooked themselves. Instruments change hands often and often folks see a used bass they really want and don't bother to see if it was reported stolen, and this is probably the guy that happened to have it and did the right thing.

If it still seems fishy, you can call the police department in that city. I'm pretty sure that stolen propert reports like that are public record. Even though you are disapointed, be glad that there are still people out there trying to do the right thing, and give folks who try to do the right thing the benefit of the doubt.

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Rumblefishy? Sorry, couldn't help it.

8. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    yeah the seller is an alright guy. he already refunded me. it's just such a bummer, that bass looked amazing. I PMed you max

9. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I share your dissapointment! I'm a Reverend fan and own one but not as pretty as that one. I was going to bid on it but the guy has a poor feedback rating so I emailed him asking for his name/address/contact info in light of his feedback, and he wouldn't provide it so I backed off and never placed a bid. I would be very interested to learn what you find out if you call the police dept. to see if his story is legitimate.

As the saying goes: 'the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior!'