Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rumblefish owners, what are you playing through?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matrok, Jan 27, 2005.

1. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I got my Rumblefish 5 last week and love it. I use a Hartke 3500 and 4x10. This past weekend I played a gig with an SVT provided and it blew me away. Thinking about a tube amp now.

What are you playing through?

2. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    My Rumblefish 5 sounds pretty good through my SWR rig, though I haven't quite figured out how to keep the mids from getting stuffy. However, the things sounds freaking amazing through my Ampeg B-15. It brings out a tightness in the low-mids that's not present through my big rig (which is really surprising, as the SWR usually lots of low-mids).

Long story short--if you're really into the fish, you might want to get down with an all-tube rig. Also, I think the 15-inch speaker (in the B-15) might be part of it as well. My SWR rig has tens.

3. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    You've got me thinking twice about my Mesa 1x15 that I've got up for sale, maybe I'll keep it. Or I think I know where I can get my hands on a cut-in-half svt cab(used to be mine), trying to keep the rig small since most of my gigs couldn't handle a big one.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am exclusively using my Rumblefish these days. I run it through a couple of different rigs, but my main one is this:

5. I've played my Rumblefish through a variety of rigs.. a Hartke 2x10 combo + 1x15 Transporter, an SWR SM-900 driving an Eden 4x10, the SM-900 with Aguilar 2x10 + 2x12 cabs, and an SWR Workingman's 15 combo. The 'Fish never fail to sound incredible. I think you could play them through about any rig and get great results. By late next week, I'll be playing mine through a Sansamp RBI/Stewart World 1.6 into an SWR Goliath Sr.! :bassist:

6. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I'm really in "retro" mode now. Got a line on an old Traynor and going to dig out my old Sunn Concert and see what it will cost to get it fixed.

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I use an Eden WT-550 and the Bergantino HT-112/EX-112 mini stack. The tone is warm with plenty of attack for cutting through. It rocks! :) I just got a digital camera so it's high time I got some fish pics on here...

8. Jmschusta

Jmschusta

Oct 20, 2004
    I am playing a four string fish through an abm 300 c110 and warwick 410. I bought the ashdown to mess around with it see if I dig the tone and I do. I have not found the right cabs to go with it because that 110 does not hold the volume I need and the warwick lacked definition. I am open to suggestions as well.

9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have a 4 and a 5. I run through a hartke ha5000 which is bi-amped into an ampeg pr-1528he--this a short, deep cab w/ a 15" angled at 45 degrees towards the floor and 2x8" w/horn in an enclosure that is kinf of scoop ported. gives a lot of tonal flexibility. I also use a yamaha ne-1 paramatric effect in the chain. I love 'fish!

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Matt, If your lookin for tubes on a budget I suggest the Ampeg V4B it's a 100 watt tube bass head from the 70's and 80's , there may be a few latter ones arround and remember amps were rated very conservitively back then and thats tube power. Also Peavy made a classic 400, it's basically there nockoff of an SVT, not a ton of them out there but I've heard good reports. I had a Sunn Concert and I'd reccomend you'd stay away it was solid state and not very reliable! Maybe they made a tube one latter that I'm not aware off. Also check out Eden they are remarkably warm for Solid State Amps with the Tube Pre Amp, I don't know why but I haven't heard much stuff warmer certantly in that price range. It will be much warmer then your hartke , also Eden is very conservitive on power ratings, my Traveler (the old one) puts out rated 240 into 8 ohms, and it is far louder then several 4-500 watt amps I've known or at least it has more headroom.