Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rumblefish PJ question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FritzM, Mar 12, 2004.

1. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Everything I've read is very positive about the Rumblefish PJ. It sounds like just what I'm looking for, great neck, thick sound, airy acoustic quality, light weight, etc. How does the bass balance? Is it uncomfortable and is it a stretch to get to the first position? The ONLY negative I've heard is that it hangs on your body kinda weird. Any comments from those who have played one? I'd like some feedback before I order one.

Thanks____Fritz

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Rumblefishes balance just fine, with just a touch of neck-heaviness. They do not, in my opinion, hang weirdly on your body. There is no big "stretch" to get to first position either. What I do find is that the chrome armrest on the body's upper bout takes some getting used to. The edge is harsh compared to a contoured body, and there can be some discomfort on the portion of your arm close to your wrist that touches it. Of course, any pain associated with this contact point is easily counteracted by the monstrous tones that this bass produces!
    :hyper:

3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have no issues w/ the 4 string fish re: comfort, playability etc. It is very light, has a smooth fast thin neck and tone! oh my!

My five stringer is a different kettle of fish--it's much heavier and tends to be a little neck-heavy. But, I don't like 5's in general--just bought this one cause it was a fish and I got a good deal used.

4. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    My 'fish balances a little poorly, though mine is the old XL model with dual Js. If balance is an issue, get the Hipshot Ultra-Light tuner upgrade. It makes a difference.

They don't hang too weirdly on the body, at least I never thought so. They don't have any contours, though, so that might take some getting used to. Otherwise, they are among the nicest basses of their kind.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have absolutely no balance issue with my JJ 'FIsh.