Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RumbleFishers, which strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 5, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    To Reverend players, can you please list here which Reverend bass do you play, which style of music you make, which tecnhiques you use and finally which kind of strings do you use?

Me, a Rumblefishing noobie:

Reverend Rumblefish
    play in 2 bands, one is rock similar to soundgarden, the other is Beat rock oriented. I play with finger 60% and pick 40%, no slap. actually i am using a set of Dean Markley Blue Steel Nickel Plated Custom Light 046 063 080 102

2. Rumblefish JJ (#47 :cool: :bassist: ), rock 'n roll, fingerstyle, Ernie Ball Slinkys 45-105.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    More suited for the strings forum.

Moved.

4. Model: I play a Rumblefish 4-string (J/J model, not XL).
    Styles: I mostly play rock, but I'm looking to get more into Jazz as well.
    Techniques: I play fingerstyle. Right hand position can make a noticeable difference in tone. Also, the tone knob is very useful.
    Strings: Currently, I have Webstrings (Stainless Steel) on my Rev. I really like Ken Smith Rock Masters as well, and SIT Stainless Rock Brights also sound good. I prefer guages 45-65-80-100.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have a Reverend XL 4-string that I use in a Classic Rock and Blues cover band.

I almost always play finger-style (I use a pick for half of one song).

I really like Ernie Ball Super Slinky's on this bass (Nickel roundrounds, gauges 45-100, pink package).

Bonus: The length of the Super Slinky's is perfect for my Reverend. They wrap around the tuning posts right to the bottom, and I don't have to clip a single mm off of any of the strings. (FWIW, I have Hipshot Ultralight tuners on this bass).

6. My 'Fish is a JJ 4 XL. I play Chicago-style and Jump Blues, I play exclusively finger-style and, mostly, play walking lines. I currently have Fender stainless steel flats on mine but I've also used GHS Brite Flats and Ken Smith nickel roundwounds; all sounded good but I'm after that gutbucket thump so the flats give me what I'm looking for. A "heads up"...if your E is larger than .100, you will have a hard time getting it through the bridge, especially if it is silk wound.

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i have a 4 string j/j and a 5 xl; all finger plucking. don't gig, just jam. both bought used on ebay

4 string came w/ T-I jazz flats, as far as i know--these were the bomb! thumpy yet with a little ping in them! finally replaced w/ Reverend's SIT recomendation--too squeaky for me--next set will be T-I jazz flats again!

5'er came w/ d'addario stainless flats--nice feel, nice tone--not as livelty as the T-I's

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    sorry, wrong metal! d'addario chrome flats