Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 8, 2001.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'm afraid that time is coming for a new bass. but here in italy is impossible to go to a shop and see something different from ibanez, mexican fender or musicman. so i have to make an idea seeing pictures and on the web.
    i really like the idea of playing a hollow body bass and i like the classic hollow body style of the epiphone rivoli, but i know that they have weak pickups. the dearmond starfire is out of production and i have no idea to spend a huge amount of money... another fine idea could be a precision bass. my favourite is the G&L SB2. and i really really like the reverend rumblefish bass. what are the differences between the rumblefish and the rumblefish xl? and what do you suggest me: epiphone rivoli, g&l sb2 or reverend rumblefish?
    thanks marco
  2. Hey Marco,
    I own both a Rumblefish and a Rumblefish XL. The difference is in the electronics. The standard Rumblefish has the classic J-bass set up.. two volumes and a master tone. The Rumblefish XL has a single volume knob and a tone knob, plus a three-way switch, to set the pickups in either single-coil, series or parallel operation. You can get a ton of different sounds. I use my XL with the pickups in series, and it sounds huge. With the switch in the middle, it nails the Jazz bass tone. I would suggest you get the XL, it's more flexible.
    And yes, get the Rumblefish over the G&L SB2 or the Epiphone Rivoli! You will not be disappointed. Reverends are killer basses! I just talked by e-mail with a guy who is selling his Mike Lull bass because he can't get it to sound as round and punchy as his Rumblefish.
    BTW, the Rumblefish is only semi-hollow.. it has a wood center block.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The XL electronics were originally used in the 5 string model; apparently some players liked it enough that they started offering it with the 4 string version, too.

What you do lose is the ability to blend the two pickups but you gain the series mode, a reasonable tradeoff for me.

4. does the XL cost more? i really want a rumblefish too, but i can't afford it yet... :(
  5. The XL costs $30 more (retail).