1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rumblefishin'again...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 8, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm afraid that time is coming for a new bass. but here in italy is impossible to go to a shop and see something different from ibanez, mexican fender or musicman. so i have to make an idea seeing pictures and on the web.
    i really like the idea of playing a hollow body bass and i like the classic hollow body style of the epiphone rivoli, but i know that they have weak pickups. the dearmond starfire is out of production and i have no idea to spend a huge amount of money... another fine idea could be a precision bass. my favourite is the G&L SB2. and i really really like the reverend rumblefish bass. what are the differences between the rumblefish and the rumblefish xl? and what do you suggest me: epiphone rivoli, g&l sb2 or reverend rumblefish?
    thanks marco

2. Hey Marco,
    I own both a Rumblefish and a Rumblefish XL. The difference is in the electronics. The standard Rumblefish has the classic J-bass set up.. two volumes and a master tone. The Rumblefish XL has a single volume knob and a tone knob, plus a three-way switch, to set the pickups in either single-coil, series or parallel operation. You can get a ton of different sounds. I use my XL with the pickups in series, and it sounds huge. With the switch in the middle, it nails the Jazz bass tone. I would suggest you get the XL, it's more flexible.
    And yes, get the Rumblefish over the G&L SB2 or the Epiphone Rivoli! You will not be disappointed. Reverends are killer basses! I just talked by e-mail with a guy who is selling his Mike Lull bass because he can't get it to sound as round and punchy as his Rumblefish.
    BTW, the Rumblefish is only semi-hollow.. it has a wood center block.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The XL electronics were originally used in the 5 string model; apparently some players liked it enough that they started offering it with the 4 string version, too.

What you do lose is the ability to blend the two pickups but you gain the series mode, a reasonable tradeoff for me.

4. does the XL cost more? i really want a rumblefish too, but i can't afford it yet... :(

5. The XL costs $30 more (retail).