Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rumblekat vs Epi Les Paul Bass vs Yammie BB414

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soulbanana, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I'm looking for a bass with a contrasting tone to my Jazz Bass, a more rootsy, thumpy tone for use with flatwounds, but I don't want a Precision. I've more or less narrowed it down to these 3 models, being in Western Australia (not much choice).

I've never had the chance to play any of them because none of the dealers stock them here, and I don't want to pay a deposit just to get one in, and then not like it.

I'm quite fascinated by the Rumblekat and the Les Paul bass, being a Fender sorta chap. I know the LP is neck heavy, but what about the Rumble? Is it difficult to get used to the 30" scale, and will it need special strings?

I'd like to hear what you guys think. I don't want to spend too much because I'm using them as working basses and taking them out a fair few nights a week.

2. I tried the Rumblekat and I loved it's tone but I couldn't get used to the short scale. check out the Lakland Hollow body, I think you will like it more...

3. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    The Lakland Hollowbody is not stocked in Perth. We only get 44, 55 and JoBo Skylines.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    No question, Yamaha BB414. I am "this close" to getting one myself.

5. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    That's what I thought too, myself. Just that....I dunno...it's just not that significantly different from a Fender, and I've never owned a Gibson / Epiphone style bass before. I'll only get the BB if the other 2 have a track record of problems. I know for one that the 3-point bridges are a bit horsey, and the LP Bass is neck heavy, but I have no experience with the Rumblekat. I've only ever played a Hofner short-scale.

6. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i have an allen woody signature epiphone and I think it fits your criteria of being a contrast to the jazz bass quite well. a short scale, set neck semi hollow body bass, mine came very wwell set up, super easy to play w/ short scale, not a lot of tonal variety, but some and it is a beautiful instrument--wine red w/ white binding, gold hardware etc.

7. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I really like the pickups on the Allen Woody. The short scale doesn't bother me at all on a 4-string but the thing is a bit gaudy to behold. The tonal range is actually under the radar compared to most other short-scales. Very powerful rumble is the best way to describe it.

8. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I'm assuming I'll have a ton of trouble finding flatwounds that fit this little beastie.

9. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I've just bought a BB414, and it's a great bass - outrageously good value for money.

Can't speak for the other two, although they do look cool.

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Rumblekat on Ebay Australia now...

11. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    What strings do you use on the Rumblekat? I read somewhere that long scale (34") strings were not meant to be used on shorter scaled basses as the acute bend in the string at the tuning post would cause breakage. Nobody I know of stocks short-scale strings in Perth.

P.S. I've also been a tad fond of that Epi Goth T-Bird now. I'm not even that sort of chap, but I just bought a pair of pants that screams to be seen with that bass. Hope it's just a passing fad (the bass, not the pants). Any of you guys playing / played the Gothic T-Bird?

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've used long-scale TI Flats on mine for a year with no problems. Short-scale strings work better, but the long-scale seem to be ok.

13. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I played a goth t-bird at guitar center while I was waiting for someone to look something up for me. It was a nice bass. I play a regular finish thunderbird, they are the same bass except for the the paint job, the pickguard and the fingerboard (goth has cross inlay, mine has the normal dots) I absolutely love my thunderbird. I'm looking into the rumblekat pretty seriously myself too

14. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I checked out an Epi Les Paul a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty nice. sounded better than the Epi Tbirds that were in the store. no problem with neck dive, either. I thought it would be a good buy for the money.

15. Like you, I've always been a Fender type of guy too (my first bass was a '68 Jazz Bass, in '68) and never owned a Gibson. Recently joined a Stones cover band and my Fenders don't work well with their old material and I picked up an Epiphone LP Special. It's long scale and has a really great tone. It's not terribly top heavy or heavy in general, but I use a wide strap which looks kind of weird but holds the bass nicely and 4 hours of holding it doesn't bother my shoulder at all (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Levys-412-Padded-Leather-Bass-Guitar-Strap?sku=369224).

The thing I like most about the bass is the evenly deep, solid tone and I use roundwounds. The high E is as solid and defined as the low E. The bad part is that the quality/workmanship is not great, but I guess that's to be expected for $250. One minor thing was the top strap pin came out. A longer screw easily fixed that. Secondly, it was leaning against my couch and fell to the carpeted floor. There was apparently some filler at the top of the neck which broke loose and I had to refill and refinish.

Haven't tried the the other basses you mentioned.

16. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    i really love my BB414. the bass feels great and the action is surprisingly low. flats are not necessary because the tone control works really well ;).
    the sound is really growly and is much more aggressive than a jazzbass. the output is also very high. the only problem with mine is a deadspot on the C of the G string :(

i recorded a few tunes (one with labellas flats). if you want them, pm me. not the best playing, but the bass sounds fine ;)

17. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Another vote for the rumblekat. Should give all kinds of vintage vibe and tone. I have two short scale hollowbodies strung with flats and love both.