'Rumblin cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oo0o00o0oo, Oct 29, 2000.

1. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I play through a Trace Elliot 150SMC and a Trace Elliot 210.
    When I turn up the volume (about 7 on both) and hit any low note, I get a 'rumbling' sound. I can't tell where it's comming from, it sounds like a loose snare being rattled. Is it my cab? Or am I some how clipping my amp? Even though the clip light never flashes.
  2. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

I suggest you check the grille on your cab, if one of the screwes is loosen then it might shake and rattle due to the air pushed from the drivers.

also try the amp in various acoustic settings, I know in my room the closet doors are thin and they rattle and make a "snare" sound whenever the volume knobs goes above 6.
  3. Maybe the clip light only indicates clipping of the preamp or input stage. If the power stage clips, you get that rattling sound, however it's impossible to tell (for me that is) what exactly it is that rattles.

You can check the clip light function by turning the master volume almost all the way down and turn the input gain (if you have it) up and play really loud. If the clip light lights, then it's only the preamp clipping.

Just some thoughts.
  4. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    I get the same sound.. it think it's my roof.
  5. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Ok, after nearly deafening myself I've determined it is a problem with the amp, not the acoustics of room. I'm pretty sure I'm clipping the power amp. Is there anyway to fix it without playing softer or getting a new amp? If so how much would it cost?