RUMOR : Jaco the movie auditioning bass players.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ted Williams, Jul 8, 2008.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Waaay too short. Then again I have no idea how tall Johnny Depp is.

bc

2. Ted Williams

Ted Williams

Jul 5, 2008
    N.Y.
    Hey everyone, there has been a rumour around about a film about Jaco's life, but seems that it is coming together. There is a you tube type of audition, I heard Journey found their new singer this way, was all over the news, anyways thought I would bring it up, I cant audition, dont look like Jaco and certainly can't play like him!
    Ted
    oh go to youtube
    find jaco the movie

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    B00004VWA7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

kattan1.jpg

It's been said a few times, but if Chris Kattan got into Jaco's getup and had a fretless jazz bass thrown on, he'd be as close to Jaco as I can think of. But then again.....

NO NO, TOO SEXY!

4. Kattan doesn't have the acting skills to play Jaco. Johnny Depp does and Heath Ledger did. Depp actually plays bass and looks like him.

lowsound

5. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    You want a bunch of Pirates of the Caribbean fans to love jaco ONLY because of Depp?

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm okay with that, strangely.

I just hope a movie about him would focus on his musical genius, but that's not good film, apparently. In stead expect a short montage of footage at gigs, (perhaps while Portrait of Tracy plays) and about an hour and fifteen minutes of footage of him decompensating and vomiting in the park, driving through cities in Forida from the backseat while naked and other famous stupidities that he may or may not actually have committed. And then of course a really REALLY gratuitously long re-enactment of the beaating that killed him.

I really hope I'm wrong. :rollno:

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Whew!!!

8. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I'm assuming that there is no thought of using Jack Black in the Jaco role. I mean, he did play McCartney in "Walking Hard".

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm Paul McCartney of the Beatles

[​IMG]

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    It's funny that this should come up. My guitar player and I were talking about this the other day. Not so much as a reality, but just who would be a good choices (lookswise) to play certain musicians in films about their lives. I don't think we really came up with anybody for Jaco that was as close as Chris Kattan.

On the other hand, we both thought James Franco (of Spiderman fame) would make a pretty good Jeff Buckley.

218545c11b178a494.jpg
    [​IMG]

11. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Jeff Berlin?

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    At this point, Jeff Berlin would need to drop 50lbs to play himself in the movie.

13. I just spat jim beam all over my keyboard, well played sir! :D:D:D

14. You know who I think COULD do it? Aesthetically matthew lillard always reminded me of Jaco every time I saw him as shaggy...

scooby_doo.jpg

15. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Thema is hotter though

16. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Just wait 'till she plays Portrait of Travis.

17. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I would think Depp looks more like Les Claypool than Jaco.

18. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i really think johnny depp could do it better than anyone else.

then again if they need some hand doubles i know every note the man ever played on a record..:bassist: i can dream cant i..

19. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
  20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Could you imagine that call?

"hey...we know you don't play bass, but you have 3 months to be the world's greatest bass player, is that cool?"

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021