RUMOR : Jaco the movie auditioning bass players.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ted Williams, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I wouldn't be surprised if Jaco thought he was a pirate at one time.

2. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?!

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I know every note Jaco ever played too:
    A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, and G#

I just can't put them in the order he did as quickly as he could. I do know the notes though. :smug: :p :cool:

:bassist:

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    nick cannon couldnt play drums to save his life but he was lead in Drumline. Who cares if you can or cant play, we have ways around it.

4. aikakone

aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Louisiana
    Hahaha!!!! :D

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, Tom Hanks had the actors in That Thing You Do learn how to play the songs exactly, even though they weren't musicians. Of course, four chord poppy psuedo-Brittish Invasion music is probably a little bit easier than fusion from one of the best bass players who ever lived. :meh: Regardless, I felt that it's really a detail that made the move all that better. Perhaps that's just because I'm a musician. I felt that was something that lacked in the Jimi Hendrix movie; though guitar playing aside, I think the actor potraying Jimi did an excellent job.

When I was taking piano lessons, I use to cop riffs off of Dennis Quaid in Great Balls of Fire. That's pretty funny now that I look back on it. :D

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    P.s. I also heard that Johnny Depp is a good guitarist. Years ago, I was reading an article in Rolling Stone where Noel Gallagher was talking about hanging out with Johnny and that he was a really good guitar player.

...it's probably the only worthwhile thing Noel has ever said in his life :D (I love Oasis but can't stand the brothers).

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

8. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I lol'd :D:D

9. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Felix Pastorius maybe?

FelixPastorius_JVC.jpg

Hm honestly though I wouldn't mind Deep as Jaco really, I can see him pulling it off. Just I'm not sure what sort of direction the whole thing should go into. I mean I know quite honestly a video on just his playing, technique and everything else Jaco was doing under the sun wouldn't really sell big. Also nothing wrong with exposure to the pirate crowd. Besides when it comes to playing, they can dub, maybe hire a fingering coach or something. That's what they did with the Karate Kid in Crossroads I believe.

10. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008

Brendan Fraser...

[​IMG]

11. RUSTYHOOK100

RUSTYHOOK100

Jul 17, 2008
    hilarious

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    well, you have me beat, i only know the flats :(

:p

13. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    I don't think anyone could do Jaco justice playing him. Then again, it would only work if you had known Jaco personally and played bass too.

By the same token the old cats that knew Jaco personally and played with him probably couldn't stand to watch the movie, no matter who "portrayed" Jaco. :bassist: I only learned what I know about Jaco after reading Bill Milkowski's book about Jaco. That being said, if the book is slanted in any way...you can't simply say,"I can cover this guy!" (I heard the book was slanted, but IMO, at least 50% is probably true.)

On second thought-keep Johnny Depp out of this. He's very anti-American, and he should stay in France and leave us alone!!! (Hey, the French like Johnny Depp, they can have him!)

:D

14. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    First Problem!!
    That's a 5-string bass at the top there.

15. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Oh yea.
    His own son would be a good idea.

16. To be honest, a movie about Jaco Pastorius wouldn't be about his technique... there's a lot info about it, and to be honest I would feel nerd about going to the movies to see that...

I want to see his life portrayed to everyone, so more people get to know his life, and by that course, his music. Period.

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Plus he's a crap actor. He has the expression of a bag of sand.

18. That website doesn't give me much hope. :/

19. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
    Me neither, the biggest bassist in the world should be getting a bigger budget imo.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021