RUMOR : Jaco the movie auditioning bass players.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ted Williams, Jul 8, 2008.

1. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida
    Felix Pastorius would be the best choice.

2. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008
    No kidding. Did you read all that 'perception of reality' blurb and how this person intends to begin the movie?

Color me unenthusiastic.

3. "Yeager began writing the script when he had a supernatural encounter with the artist in a NDE experiment."

icon_uhoh.gif

icon_uhoh.gif icon_uhoh.gif icon_uhoh.gif icon_uhoh.gif

4. I looked at the web page for www.jacothemovie.com and then looked up Billy Yeager's bio. Just judging from the photos, and I know you can't judge a book by it's cover, but this guy looks like a 100% tool. If this thing does get made, it's gonna be a disgrace.

5. Yeah, and reading the write-up, I'm convinced that this guy thinks his couple of hours hanging with Jaco makes him more special than anyone else... There's some sort of name for this psychosis, isn't there?

6. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    He calls himself the Jesus of Malibu.

[​IMG]

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    They don't have to... they only need to look like they're playing it.

8. Guys, this "film" looks like it will never see the light of day. It doesn't appear any studio is seriously behind it. I had to question it anyway, since the average person has no idea who Jaco Pastorius is. Such a film would not have any sort of broad appeal at all.

9. Ted Williams

Ted Williams

Jul 5, 2008
    N.Y.
    Hey, the guy you your talking about Yeager had some pretty close connections to Johnny Depp actually. It seems both come from same neighborhood in Hollywood where they met at the Agora where they played opposite each other, then when Johnny was on Jump Street Yeager did an interview with Johnny for Florida Stage and Screen.
    At a reunion concert where Johnny played in Boyton Beach for Shiela ??/ forgot ( its on-line) Johnny came all the way to do a benefit concert for this agent he worked for when he was 16 years old.??? What? Came from France to do a small benefit? Doesn't make sense!!!
    Yeager lives in Palm Beach 10 minutes from Boyton/ Johnny co:hyper:mes to town, they knew each other from the old daysz?
    I think its going to be Johnny. I did a search, there is NEW news about Johnny playing this role, seems Johnny had a brief encounter that also left an impression on him, If it is him, why wouldn't he produce the film? Or maybe he is?

Ted Williamson and YES I BOUGHT THE BASS!!!!!

10. Ted Williams

Ted Williams

Jul 5, 2008
    N.Y.
    Did a search on my hero Jaco and found this, someone who calls themselves a film/rep, I guess these are the people who go out and make things happen from what this article explains, this is a cut out of just the part about the film, but dont get the part about the B Movie actors.

Right now I am involved with a film that is being directed by Billy Yeager that is about the life and music of Jaco Pastorius. The main reason I got involved with this project was that Yeager's vision of the story was unique. It's not a documentary, and it's not a typical story that would be the same as reading a biography.

I presented the film to a few film investors/ producers and they all had an interest; because the way Yeager had planned to make the film and market it had them convinced that he had a vision, he wasn't just making a film for profit, and believe it or not that is what most film schools and film making books will tell you. But look at it from an investors perspective; any person knows you can find semi-famous or B actors and that won't get you anywhere yet they will all tell you that this is who you need to cast. Its all wrong, all the information out there is incorrect and Yeager not only understands the art of film making but what I call the " art of business" and the distribution process.

It is an art. If the artist realizes this and presents a coherent film package to myself then I am willing to look it over and take it on. But it's the whole overall package and concept today, no one is willing to risk there time or money in independent films without a well thought out articulated master plan.

11. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Exactly, think Forrest Whitaker in "Bird".

And as long as we're talking about actors, James Frain has always reminded me of Jaco. And, he can act.

12. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I would also be OK with Depp as Jaco and he is the kind of lead actor that can get a movie done.

Bard's plot synopsis is totally plausible and I agree would be unfortunate if they spend too much time on the tragic aspects of Jaco's life. There are multiple ways for this film to to go: the key will be getting the right balance between life and art.

There have been some commercially and artistically sucessful movies with a similar arc. The Ray Charles movie and the Johnny Cash movie did a good job balancing the life story and the art story. However, both of them had a happier ending.

The Jaco story is more tragic - sort of a 20th century Mozart as portrayed in the movie Amandeus.

13. Monkeygroover

Monkeygroover

Jan 5, 2008
    Belgium
    Remember, you need to able to act in a movie, put down a personality. You can't just do that out of the blue, it's a talent and hard work. Certainly Jaco's personality is not an easy one to assimilate, I guess :)

Johny Depp has that talent, give him a shot guys! If he is a bass player I don't think he'd mind doing it for lesser money then a Hollywood production...

14. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
  15. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Well, if they hope to premier the movie by September then they better get cracking on it! While I can't imagine a movie about Jaco being shown in every local theater nationwide I would still love to see it, if it is in fact an accurate portail of the man with FACTS supplied by his family, from those who worked with him and not "sensationalized" just for the sake of selling tickets. You know..."well yes, this particular event did happend....but we're going to make it even MORE dramatic than what it was."

If done right it would make for a very good story. Was the man that driven, that creative and that fearless on his own, or did the fact that he was bipolar have anything to do with it? I really don't know much about bipolarism so it would be facinating to hear from those who really, really knew him.

16. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSHNiTvm9tgo5bwAPzHHT4PgWPzEwGgutxl3HW0Pl5EYWIGqu_Vg.jpg

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Wouldn't it be cool if Fieldy got the part? :bag:

In all seriousness, Depp would kill in that role.

18. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    It's a documentary already in post-production. Really looking forward to it.

19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach

I don't know about that .. Depp is pretty good... He is the one big name star that I think could actually pull it off.. he is now 12 years older than Jaco was when he died though.. but I am sure they could work that out..

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021