Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

run for the hills! its a new cabinet!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Oct 30, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Just picked this monster up today. Its the third 6x10 I've owned, and so far I'm pretty impressed. This is the only Ampeg cab I've truly ever liked. Sounds amazing with my P-bass and GK 1001RB-II. Tons of growl and low end, and it just brings out so much with my Big Muff. Picked her up for $650 new. Not bad eh? I've got my first gig with it this next weekend.

Notice how sad the lowly Harke looks in the background.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Congrats!
    Did it come with a roadie?
    :help:

3. strah

strah

Oct 1, 2004
    Stockholm/Sweden
    I want one of those to!! In europe they will set you back aprox. 1200€ thats like 1500$ :mad:

4. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    yah - at 115 lbs, a roadie is most useful - esp. when going up and down stairs.

but the tone - and bottom end - omg!

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The stairs was a big problem. But other than that, I had no problem moving it around.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What I'm saying is, The majority of us older bass players been thru that 2x15 x2 cabs, 2 4x10 cabs, 8x10 cabs and we all have bad backs to show for it! technology has caught up with good sounding cabs an I find no need to lug giant cabs around any longer. after all the guy with the biggest cab does not make the guy with the best sound. Big cabs may intimidate younger bassplayers but us older and more experienced bassplayers giggle when we see those things, not to mention what's needed every time you gig or need to move that cab. Another drawback is playing in a small venue, do you still use that big cab? I think there is nothing wrong with cabs bigger than 4x10's as long as someone else moves them! But hey your young! enjoy!

7. Wow, thats a good lookin rig and a nice P-bass! I usually dont really like the looks of P's but that ones smokin! I love the look of all that black and that tall cab! I cant wait to get my rig together, should be a couple of months though. :( By the time I'm done putting it together I hope to have a Trace Elliot V-type or a Sansamp RBI, a RMX1450, and a Ampeg 610HLF or Eden D-215XLT. How would you describe the 610HLF sound. I'm lookin for good rock tone that cuts through, that can still get a little dubby. Is this good for that?

8. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    I see what your saying, but is there any other better cab for heavy rock? If there is i'm all ears.

9. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Bless you - for an Ampeg related post coupled with a sly reference to the bassgod, Steve Harris ("run to the hills"!) Nice cab! Enjoy it at huge volumes as it was meant! :D

10. nice cab...also nice P bass, I'm liking it.

11. Geez Pyrohr, it's not that big of a cab. It's only 3.25 ft. tall. In fact, I happen to think it's the perfect size, and it's really not that heavy. I'll be the last to say I'm psyched about moving heavy gear, but this isn't too bad at all.

And it has glaides on the back, a huge towelbar handle on the angled top, and casters...not too bad to move, if you ask me.

12. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    (Imitating the IKEA commercial.....) Why do you feel sad for the little Hartke cabinet? It's because you're crazy, it's a wooden box, it has no feelings.

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Hey! I have a similar setup (Thunderfunk and the Ampeg 6X10). I was looking at that GK before the 'funk too.

Very cool!

Lync

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm loving this rig. With my new MXR M80, it just blows me away. There is nothing this thing can't do. Pushes plenty of air and kills any thing in its path. I'm considering a roadcase or cover for it.

15. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I purchased a (somewhat) padded cover off of ebay for about $60.00...

A roadcase would be killer, but I don't want to add anymore weight, and I like the kickback transport feature.

I have a SABDDI for some grind if needed...

Awesome rig you have though!

Lync