Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Runners! I need shoes to move my fat @$$.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok, I'm getting back into cardiovascular shape, and running in Merril lmocs is not working out for various reasons. I haven't hit the pavement for a good while. Please advise me regarding shoe choice for a good "cross training" shoe, if that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

2. Another vote for the New Balance.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    One more for NB. I happen to like Saucony as well.

:bassist:

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Any particular NB model that people like? Especially heavy people? ;)

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have to worry about my knees until I become a thinner guy. :D

6. I have the New balance 806's now. They are a good all around shoe. I'm a big guy too and they feel great and wear well.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Go to a good store, and let a good sales person help you find good shoes for you. He should be able to tell you what kind of misalignments you have concerning your feet. Your weight is important too, if you're over 85 kg you need different shoes than a lighter person.

Do slow runs in a shop or on a machine and check how well the shoes fit.

When I shopped for mine, the first good salesman I met gave me the best-fitting shoe on the first try. I shopped around for four more hours, but ended up buying that pair (Reebok). They fit perfectly, no problems on the first run etc.

Some salespersons don't know their stuff - shop somewhere else.

Good shoes are not cheap btw.

8. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    best / threadline / ever

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, thanks everyone! I'm going to try and find a reputable shop that sells New Balance.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    TB presents...

The remake of the classical hit movie

'LOGANS... err... BLISSHEAD'S RUN!'

Run runner, run! :D

;)

11. I was developing foot problems and was in quite a bit of pain. My wife was very pleased with New Balance, so I tried a pair. I bought a pair of NB 608's and it was like I had a new lease on life. After a few weeks of wearing them, my foot problems started to disappear. That was two years ago and I plan to buy another pair.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    that movie freaked me out, thanks. ;)

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, that's a strong endorsement!

14. Not to knock New Balance (actually my main running shoes are NB), but my advice is not to stick to any one brand of shoe. Like JMX said earlier, it's important to find the right shoe. Also, try not to let aesthetics get in the way. Most new runners look funny when they run no matter how cool their shoes look :). Running a lot in the wrong shoes or shoes that are the wrong size could cause a lot of unnecessary pain. It usually costs more, but try to find a reputable running shoe store (i.e. not sportmart or big 5) and the staff should be able to help you find the right shoe. Technically, you could just go to the shoe store and let them determine the right shoe for you, then "decided not to buy it" and find them somewhere else for cheaper, but I like to pay the nice shoe people for their services. Best of luck on finding the right shoe.

P.S. don't tie your laces too tight! :D

15. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i was gonna ask a similar question. i am WAY bigger than sir bliss but am getting back into weight training and gonna try running to get my knee back into shape. you think new balance cross trainers are fine? any advice for someone who has never been able to run?

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I looked at the NB cross trainers on the NB website and they did not seem all that strong for running according to the chart NB had, but the trail and regular runners looked pretty god for everything.

Thanks for the knighting! ;) Sir Jon!

17. Don't know about running shoes, but for track I use a part of Oasics spikes. They work nice and make me go fast. Course, bet spikes won't work well for pavement. Sorry for wasting your time :( .

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I bet the Y would get pissed if I used them on a treadmill. :D

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Find a running store to get your shoes. Foot Locker/Foot Action/Athletes Foot/Big 5/Sports Authority will be of little help to you.

-Mike

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Another vote for New Balance or ASICS. I have been a "long time" user of NB cross trainers and from what I understand, their best cross trainers are the 1000 series, however they are not great for running because they are fairly heavy when compared to a running shoe.

From what I understand the purpose of a cross trainer is to keep both horizontal and lateral movement of the foot minimised to prevent ancle injury. OTOH runners generally have little in the way of lateral support because runners tend not to move sideways too much!

You might want to consider which is more appropriate for the exercise you are doing. AFAIK NB and ASICS both make varying widths are well as lengths in their shoes.