Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

runnign bass through pa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Feb 3, 2005.

1. do any of you run your bass directly through a pa at gigs (with a di) ditching the amp all together. is this bad for the pa? i'm a bit wary of plugging in becasue i don't want to hurt the speakers, but a band i played with a couple weeks ago did this, and the bass sounded really pure through the pa. jsut a thought.

2. Once or twice...

We dont have a nice P.A system. And I dont have a high quality DI.

But it works and its great, good to know you can show up to a gig with your bass in one hand and your 'amp' in the other.

3. yeah, i'm kinda minamalistic so i'm rather fond of the idea. my bands pa isn't the greatest thing in the world, but hey maybe i'll give it a try at rehersal tomorrow and see how it goes. a lot of hte venues we play have some nice systems i'm jsut afraid of showing up at one that doesn't without a decent amp.

4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    A band from around Cleveland, OH called Catwalk Blue does this often. The whole band. They bring their heads, but use DIs to send bass and guitar, use a high-end electronic drum kit, go direct with keyboards, etc. They're a phenomenal band, and the sound is really great when it's done this way because there is no stage volume for the sound guy to compete with. And they end up lugging a lot less stuff. It's really slick.

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's just like running your bass through a DI with an amp after the di so it's not going to hurt the pa. The only diifference is you can't use your cab for personal monitering.

6. Most of the time what you're hearing out front is more from the P.A. than from the players amp. Let the PA do the work, that's what it's there for - you won't damage anything.

7. alright thanks for the input guys. i'll give it a go tomorrow/

8. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    You'll need three Maytag dryers on stage for this to work.

9. What?????????????????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    That's true if your PA is up to the task. As a sound guy I prefer to see the bass run through its own amp for stage monitoring with a DI back to the board for the house and here's why...
    1) It cuts down on the number of monitor mixes I need to have. Nothing is worse than having two guys on one mix and one of them is saying "I can't hear myself" while the other is saying "He's too loud". For that reason alone, the ideal situation for me is if you don't have your own mix, you have some sort of amplification on stage so you can hear yourself.
    2) Bass amps are designed to handle bass, monitors may not be. A high quality monitor will be fine with the bass going through it, but especially with louder music, more affordable monitors aren't going to be so happy. It can be done, but it limits how loud you can safely go.
    3) I have no problem telling anybody to turn down. Amps on stage are for monitoring purposes only!!! :bag: This means that as long as you can hear yourself, you're loud enough. If you want the tone your amp is producing to be in the house, mic it up, but if you're so loud that there's no difference between your fader all the up and all the way down, I will tell you to turn down :scowl:. This applies equally to basses, electric guitars, keyboards, and even overall monitor levels.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's a joke. Geddy Lee from Rush has three Maytag clothes dryers onstage instead of amps . . .

12. daddyo

daddyo

Jun 9, 2004
    British Columbia
    That is the way I do it, too. I have one of those little Yorkville XM50 1x10 combos. I run an xlr line out to the board and put the little amp on a chair pointed at my head. I run my bass full volume and let the sound guy set the house level and EQ it as the out signal is pre amp EQ and pre volume control. I then set my amps tone and volume to suite myself. I find I can get better sound and lower stage volume while still hearing myself. Plus the thing only weighs 30 lbs. Negative is that as an inexpensive amp, the tonal palette while good (warm and round), is not great, and the sound guy is totally responsible for my house tone. Now this amp is fine for a church setting of moderate volume (any louder and it lacks the headroom) but there are more powerful, higher quality amps with the same features for louder bands.

13. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    LOL!!! :p

I play thru DI/PA every Sunday at church. We finally upgraded to Aviom Personal Monitoring System and are runnig in-ear monitors. With the Aviom, each musician has a 16 channel mixer for thier own personal mix. Really nice as the only stage monitor is for the singers. (Singers can be such idiots IMO, but that's another post)

I've only played 1 gig thru DI/PA and was miserable. But, it had to do with a soundman that's not real experienced in mixing for a live band. He has a nice system, but not a lot of experience.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I always use PA support, but I still need a real amp onstage for monitoring. On a recent smaller corporate gig I just went DI into my wedge monitor, and the rest of the band bitched and moaned about loss of "beef". Next corp gig I brought my SWR Baby Blue II, and they didn't mind, though for the last set when the volume went up, they wanted more presence from me onstage.

For most gigs, we have larger stages and I use two 4x10's, and that's just for stage monitoring. A shame when you think about it . . . it shouldn't have to be.

15. i have a 60 watt amp i could use for stage monitering so i guess that's not real problem, i play mostly cmaller gigs, 100-200 people, small clubs and the like, but hte volume can get pretty loud ( i'm in a electronica based band ) and wit hthe amount of movement i've come to realize the less equiptment we have on stage the less will get broken, so runnign through a pa, seems like the way to go for me, and hey mayb i'll bring a drier, those thigns are sturdy. now to find a di box, but i know if i search theres a thread about that somewhere on here. thanks for your input guys, much appreciated

16. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've always felt that whirlpools give me more of an old school tubey sound. Perhaps someone could have a shoot out............