1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running 12V tube distortion box at 9V

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Nov 30, 2006.

1. My Guyatone BB-X sounds great on its own at 12V. However, I'm in ground loop hell with having to plug in an additional AC adapter on top of the one I have for my pedalboard (SKB PS-25). Will I blow out the tube if I power the BB-X with 9V?

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't think so, however I doubt you'll be able to run the tubes, since they need 12 volts accross the filaments to even run.

if youhave that serious of a ground looping issue, you might want to look into one of Ebtecs's products. They have a few that work fairly well at eliminating ground loops.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, unfortunately, you may have a problem with voltage drop like that. I changed over my tube pedal to DC filaments, aqnd it dropped about a volt. It won't operate a 12ax7, which is fine with me, because I like the 12at7 better anyways, and it works just fine with the lower voltage.