1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

running 2 4-10 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by william curl, Aug 18, 2012.

1. william curl

william curl

Feb 13, 2012
    Mt Vernon Ga
    I 'm running through a ampeg 410 he classic cab right now.It fits the bill for most gigs but sometimes I need a little more.Iwould rather have two 410s than one big 810.I like the sound of ampeg hlf but was wondering what issues would I run into since the cabs are tuned a little different.

2. I think the first thing you may have to check out is the minimum impedance your amp can handle.
    Most bass amps go down to 4 ohms, some to 2. It will be printed on the back usually near the output jacks, saying something like "Minimum 4 ohms" or something similar.
    Your HE 410 is an 8 ohm cab. If you add the HLF 410 (this is a 4 ohm cab) then the total impedance created by the 2 410 cabs is 2.67 ohms. If your amps minimum impedance is 2 ohms you're OK. If it's 4 ohms you could end up damaging your amp.
    In the instance of your amps minimum impedance being 4 ohms another 8 ohm cab would be ideal - another HE for example.
    Hope this makes sense.

3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    IME, you'd be better served with a second 410HE.

4. william curl

william curl

Feb 13, 2012
    Mt Vernon Ga
    thanks. I thuoght the hlf was 8 ohms and my amp wont do 2 ohms.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Right, and even if your amp *could* do 2 ohms, you don't want to mix a 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab. Just get another 410he, and rock the world.