Running (2) 8 ohm cabs into an svt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reel big bassist, Apr 15, 2002.

1. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Sup all,
    Its been awhile since i've posted its great to be back. Before i ask my question i'll explain what i did first.
    I have an SVT-300 (bassicly the power amp section of an svt), a peavey t.b.raxx tube preamp, a genz benz 4x10 (8 ohm), and a homemade 4x10 (8 ohm). Now this is what i did.

The SVT-300 accepts 4 and 2 ohm loads. So I ran a speaker cable from my homemade 4x10 to my genz benz, and then ran another speaker cable from my genz benz into my svt-300. That would give me a 4 ohm load, correct? Then I ran an instrument cable from my peavey's "high level output" into the SVT-300's "Main Line in". I then preceded to plug both my power amp and preamp in, and connect my instrument. I then adjusted the volume and everything sounded fine. However, upon closer inspection i found that only my genz benz was putting out sound, my homemade 4x10 was not. Is this normal when you run speakers this way?

Thank you all in advance, this just worries me.
    Greg P

P.S. The TB store rocks it has great selection.

2. jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    It sounds like you have things hooked up correctly. Since you know that the one cab works (you heard sound from one cab), I would disconnect that (known good cab) and connect just the one cab that had no sound into the SAME output that you had the good cab plugged into. That way you have only changed one thing (you disconnected the known good cab). If the cab now works then you have a wiring problem between the two cabs. If it does not work then you have something wrong with that cab.

You must find out where the problem is before you can start to fix it.