running 2 8x10 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Is it possible to run 2, 8x10 cabs the ampeg for example? where are the wass to power 2 of them coming from? I ask because I saw them running 2 at a concert... is one for show? or are they running 2 different amps for different sounds? whats the deal?
  2. They probably would have had 2 heads, 1 running each cab. You see several 8x10s or other multiple stacks of amps at larger shows quite often.
  3. can you loop 2 heads togeather? thus instead of getting the 1800 watts from one head get ~3600 watts or would they only run one at a time? For outdoor shows or whatever where you might need more :)
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I remember an interview with Filter's bass player where he said he used Crown K2s to push multiple 8x10s.
  5. Ampeg's original plan for the SVT was the 300 watt head with two 8x10 cabs, but they had trouble selling the concept to bassists who 1) didn't have the money for two 8x10 cabs or 2) didn't want to haul two 8x10 cabs around. Consequently, they rethunk the idea and upped the 8x10 cab's power handling so bassists who wanted to could run one cab. Ever wonderd why Ampeg's 8x10 cabs have six indentations on the top when there's only four rubber feet on the SVT head? They're so you can slide the head over and straddle two cabs.
  6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    yeah, the svt will handle (and was designed to handle) 2 8X10's. if you haul it you are my hero.
  7. Double 8x10... the FOH engineer's nightmare.

I suppose this would have use as a visual-aid at a large concert. I see local (kid) bands in my area doing the 8x10 thing, and it always sounds like merde. Too much mud, too much noise.
  8. Well remember, the idea was hatched back in '69 when FOH systems were still largely a caveman affair and bands blasted audiences from the stage with walls of Marshalls and the like.
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Scott owen from the Living End (Aus band) uses two 8x10's and two 2x10's.. He uses multiple heads to power them.
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've run 2 810s before. It was on an origional SVT that wasn't mine, and the cabs wern't mine either. It was a big local show.
  11. I kind of agree that two 810 cabinets are overkill for most jobs but if those guys you heard were using Ampeg SVTs with two Ampeg 810s and were sounding muddy and bad it wasn't the rigs fault.Some guys can even make the best amps sound bad.The SVTs sound wonderful when used by someone with a good ear that knows how to play.Even at low volume they sound great.
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    No kidding... I have a Billy Sheehan tape where he said that in one small bar that Talas played in he had to stack his two 8x10s vertically right behind him (and his vocal mic)....

Talk about having to ride that mic's fader all night!!!!