Running 2 cabinets off a GK 1001 RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlackburstJBP, Oct 11, 2005.

1. The GK is rated 700 watt 4 ohms and 460 watt @ 8 ohms.My cabinet is a 4 ohm 4x10. Can I add another cabinet if I want to? The part I,m not sure of is if I add another cabinet will it make the output 2 ohms or 8 ohms? Sorry if this sounds stupid I,m not an guru when it comes to electronics.
  2. Nope. Any cab you add will put you below the minimum 4ohms.
  3. What if you have 2- 8 ohm cabinets? OR If you have a bass amp combo? I have a peavey TNT with its own amp built in and a single 15.Can you run a feed into it?
  4. It would put you at 2 ohms, which the 1001 RB won't handle. When you connect 2 cabs to the amp's outputs, they are connected "parallel". Two 4 ohm cabs parallel (divide the load in half) would be 2 ohms, two 8 ohm cabs would be 4 ohms.
    Keep in mind that daisy-chaining two cabinets to one amp output is still parallel.
    Although it's possible to come up with a special wiring arrangement that would let you run two 4 ohm cabs in series (that would give you an 8 ohm load), this would be a waste of time because you'd be dropping your wattage to the point where it might not power BOTH cabs with enough wattage.

It's ok to be a newbie and ask questions. I still come for help now and then. The link above has some useful info that will help you understand wiring.

5. I wondered if there was a patch ( signal)feed on the amp to run into the TNT .
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Two 8 ohm speakers would be perfect for your amp.

Yes, run a guitar cable/patch cord (NOT a speaker cable - you will pick up lots of noise that way) from the effects send of the GK to the input of your TNT and set its controls flat. You can try running a cable from the effects send of the GK to the power in of the TNT but I don't know if that will be loud enough.

You can also try going from the DI (XLR) out of the GK to the power in of the TNT but you will need an XLR to 1/4" cable for that.

7. Thats cool!I would run that for a really big gig.I had a peavey 18-20 cabinet and a mark 6 head.It always filled the bill on any gig we ever did.That thing rocked! The 18 always gave me good lowes and the head had a punch feature I swear the air would slap my legs.I kind of regret selling it.I,m optomistic that my 4x10 cabinet will fill the bill as well. Thanks for the help :)
  8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    isn't it possible to make two 4 ohm cabinets at 8 ohms, i am pretty sure you can do it

it takes a bunch of cables, but it shows you how in the eden cabinet owners manuals

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

you can do it by running the cabinets in series instead of parallel.

You need something like this

or a cable that does the same thing.

Without a series box or a series cable or modifying a cab (not worth it) to my knowledge it can't be done.

I know of no amps that have series output jacks.

But I could be wrong.