Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Running 2 cabs w/o a crossover

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reel big bassist, Aug 10, 2000.

1. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    Hello,
    To help, I will list my rig.
    Power Amp: SVT-300 (Power section of an SVT)
    Pre-Amp: Peavey T.B. Raxx
    Additonal Amp: Ampeg B-2r (solid-state)200 @8, 350 @4
    Cabinet: Home Made 4x10 (8ohms)

I am thinking of purchasing another cabinet to put
    in my rig, most likely a 15 that is 8 ohms. That would bring my total impedance down to 4 ohms. I am also
    thinking of putting a crossover in, to split the frequencies. The lows and mids to the 1x15, and the highs to the 4x10.

So I was wondering, what would happen if I ran
    the cabs w/o a crossover. I heard about frequency cancellation,what is that exactly?
    How much does it really affect the sound?
    Another problem. The SVT-300 has a lot more power than the B-2r,
    so when I increase the volume to a
    certain level, the lows, will be louder than the highs.
    I just don't want the highs to be drowned out, I want to
    keep the sound "even."
    Are their any other problems with running
    2 cabs w/o a crossover?

Thanks,
    Greg P

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My rig consists of one mono head pushing 2 8ohm cabinets with no crossover. I stopped biamping years ago, for me it really had no benefit. I guess the trick is to find cabinets that work well together. Since your 410 is homemade, can't really comment on it's low frequency capabilities.

Not really familiar with the Peavey T.B. Raxx preamp. There's no crossover in it?

If you're sending a signal to the front end of the B-2R you already have biamp capabilities. Use the tone controls on the B-2R to roll off whatever lows you want to run to the 410 and run the 15 full range. Much more flexible than the typical crossover (with the exception of the signal going to the 15)That's a biamp setup:D