1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running 2 GK heads off 1 input questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Feb 2, 2017.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I have a GK 800rb and a GK 1001rb. My intention is to use each to power a 8x10. They are both in a rack. I did this with 2 8x10s before using a Y cable to go onto both front inputs. I don't know why but I had many problems with cables/connections so I scrapped it for 1 head. I miss my sound.
    Now, my thoughts are to run a cable off my rack (a preamp) into the front of one of the heads. I would then run a cable from the FX send on that to the return on head #2 thereby using it as a Poweramp only for the second Cab. I'm sure this will work BUT I'd really like to be able to adjust the preamps on BOTH heads the 1001 has stuff the 800 doesn't BUT the 800 has "the" sound. I could get another 800 but no $ right now plus the1001 has 240w more power. Eventually I plan on getting a 2001 head and eliminate all this.

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Tuner out into input of the other?

Somebody correct me if that sounds dumb, but I've been thinking about this for a few minutes, and it seems like it'd do the trick.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  3. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I never even though about that, I've never used the tuner out. I wonder if it's a full preamp Sig? I'll bet it's not.

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's sort of the point - you're trying to do something that most people usually try to avoid via slaving - having two seperate full amps running (both pre and power).

I'd expect the tuner out to be instrument level, without any preamp impact. So you'd get to use both amps in the same way as using a Y cable, but without any (presumed) signal degradation.

5. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    That makes good sense, I don't need preamp 1 going into preamp 2, I only need the input signal! Brilliant!

6. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I'd monkey with this if my rack wasn't packed up in the trailer for sat. After this weekend I'll have a few weeks to tinker around though it does involve pulling out both cabs.

7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Might want to have at least one other person confirm that this isn't a bad idea before going ahead, but I can't seem to find any fault with it based on how those GK tuner outs appear to be in the circuit.

Assuming that the 1001RB might have slightly better components than the 800RB (just because it's newer), I'd recommend going into the 1001 first, then 1001RB tuner out into the 800.

8. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    OK cool. I have some time before I can money with it, see what's others have to say on this and in general on this issue. Thanks man.

9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Ah, one potential downside that did come to mind is phase - I don't have any reason to believe that the tuner out would swap the phase, but just something to keep in mind as you're testing it out. I'm sure others with better knowledge of the electronics in these GKs would be able to clear that up pretty quickly though.

Sartori likes this.
  10. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Ive had trouble using a "Y" in the past and my fix for it was to use a Boss TU2 tuner and use both of it's outputs.

Sartori, HolmeBass, RickyT and 4 others like this.
  11. Faceman75

Faceman75

Dec 21, 2015
    Get an A/B/Y footswitch, then both amps are independent of each other

12. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I cound put that in the back of the rack and use 1 or both then. Smart. Do they have cheap rack mount versions of those?

Stumbo likes this.
  13. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Like a motley A/B/Y or just an A/B?

Stumbo likes this.
  14. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    This is exactly how Id accomplish this, out of fx send of amp 1 into fx return of amp 2, you don't need the pre amp from amp 2 because amp 1 has "the" sound and you just want to make it louder

15. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I'd say the A B Y. So you can use both A and B at the same time. Just an A B would limit you to choosing one or the other.

16. Faceman75

Faceman75

Dec 21, 2015
    Something like this. 1 input, and 1 output to each amp's input

Attached Files:

Sartori likes this.
  17. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I'm just not sure as I prefer the 800 sound but I do like the deeper ability of the 1001 I think having the ability to put more lows into 1 cab would be cool.

18. Faceman75

Faceman75

Dec 21, 2015
    I would set the 1001 for a clean sound, and the 800 for dirt, then blend the volumes. Also, if one should crap out during a gig, the other will keep going

Sartori, Aqualung60 and wolfkeller like this.
  19. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    If you're going to get a switch you should look at Radial - they make several signal routing / switching devices. All my friends tell me that their products (especially D/I boxes) sound much better than anything else. www.radialeng.com.

rodv66, neal davis and wolfkeller like this.
  20. I've done this recently and just used the additional output on my pedal tuner. Worked great!
    There were 2 big cabs on stage, but only one amp with a single speaker out. Luckily I had my Shuttle 9.0 in my bag and ran the other cab with that. Sounded great with using the 2 outs from the pedal tuner. No phase issues.