Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Running 4 ohm cab with 8 ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, May 26, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'm planning on running a Peavey 210 cab(4 ohms) with a Eden 410 cab(8 ohms) with a Peavey Firebass head and was wondering if I would have any problems with running two different ohm cabs?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    As long as the amp can handle a load of 2.7 ohms (most Peaveys can go down to 2 ohms...check the manual) you should be fine.

Depending on the relative efficiencies of each cabinet, they may not produce the same volume...only an experiment will tell you.

Have fun!!!

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    I've heard people say it wouldn't be good for the amp and also heard that the lower ohm cab might be louder.

Was hoping to possibly get some insight from someone who has done this before.

thanks for the reply!

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Wrong on both counts.

As BillyB says, if the amp can handle a 2-ohm load, you're fine. Won't hurt the amp.

And I seriously doubt that a 2x10, 4-ohm Peavey will be louder than a 4x10, 8-ohm Eden... the Eden has twice the speaker area, and Edens are known to be quite efficient.

Sounds to me like it may work very well.... but you'll have to hook it up to find out for sure....

5. One potential problem. The 2x10 cab will get the lion's share of the power and volume wise will hit the wall long before the Eden does forcing you to turn down before the Eden has even hit its stride. You may actually be louder by running only the Eden.

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Most of the time I probably will be only running the Eden cab, but occassionally I might run the Peavey cab with it.