1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Running a 2.67 Ohm Load with Bergs and Crest?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KPO2000, Feb 26, 2008.

1. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Hi,

I have a 4 Ohm Berg AE410 on order--my first 4 Ohm cab. I may occasionally want to run it with one of my other 8 Ohm cabs using a Crest CA-9 or eventually, a Carvin B1500. Is that safe to do?

The Crest claims a 1000 W stereo at 2 Ohms

I'm told it would be a 2.67 Ohm load, but I flunked Ohm multiplication so I'm not sure it's correct...perhaps one of you can explain this as well. :) Thanks!

KenO

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, That sounds fine

3. CAREFUL!

That power spec for the CA9 that you quote is 'stereo' for each side, NOT bridged. So, the 2.67 impedance for your combined cabs, while correct, is a moot point. You cannot run the CA9 (or any bridged stereo amp that I know of) under 4ohm total nominal impedance.

No problem though... just run each cab out of separate sides of the CA9 and you will have PLENTY of power with those cabs.

With the B1500... not a problem, since that is a monoblock head safe for 2ohm operation.

4. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Duh...I should have mentioned that...sounds like it makes more sense to just run 4 and 8 Ohms per side, respectively with the CA-9. A B1500 is on the want though, so that's good to know. THANKS!