1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Running a 2nd cab with a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alfaBAT9, Apr 13, 2009.

1. alfaBAT9

alfaBAT9

Apr 12, 2009
    Toronto, ON
    So I've been using this 12" combo amp for the past 2 years and it's been amazing so far... amazing tone, lightweight, no problems. I'm finally thinking about adding an extension cab of some kind, possibly a single 12" or 15", but I'm unsure of the whole impedance thing. Unless otherwise requested, all the Walkabout Scouts that leave the Mesa factory are 4ohms, allowing you to get the full 300w of power from the detachable head, so I'm assuming I have the 4 ohm version (I bought mine used, and I didn't think to ask the guy I bought it from at the time). So if I did get another cab, what impedance should it be assuming mine is already 4ohms? I'm kind of a noob with this whole ohms thing, but I know that if I add another 4 ohm cab the total impedance will be 2ohms, but if I add an 8ohm cab the total impedance will be 2.67ohms. Should I play it safe and go with the 8ohms?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There have been a couple very long threads recently where this has been discussed at length. Many Walkabout owners have safely run their amps at 2.67 and 2 ohms. At 2 ohms it'll put out about 500 watts. Mesa doesn't recommend it but admits it can be done if you don't really crank the amp wide open for hours at a time. I've run mine without trouble into lower impedances. The amp didn't seem to get unreasonably hot. I don't notice any difference between 2.67 ohms and 2 ohms. There's also no degradation in sound quality. As far as extension cabinets go, many I've tried work very well. But there's nothing better than the matching Scout extension.

The Walkabout is a very well designed and capable little amp with a tone like no other as you probably already know.

3. alfaBAT9

alfaBAT9

Apr 12, 2009
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks 62, I was hoping another Scout owner would chime in. Knowing that puts my mind at ease. Depending on availability I'd definitely go with a matching Scout cab.

4. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I've run a Scout at 2.67 ohms and didn't have much problem, but as always, it depends on additional variables like ambient temperature and how hard you're running it. I wish I'd tried the Scout extension cabs before I sold it. Loved it as a combo; didn't like it as much with the other cabinets I'd tried.

There is a "Walkabout Megathread" around here that talks about this stuff at great length.

5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I run a 4ohm Walkabout 12 combo with a 4ohm Scout 15 ext cab (so total 2ohm load) fairly regularly with no issues.

As 62bass mentioned, the only real limit you should consider with this configuration is not running the Walkabout full blast with the 2ohm load. I have never pushed mine over 1/2 way (12 noon) on the Master Vol while running 2ohms. I think if you need more output than that, you should look at another amp with more watts and/or an officially supported 2ohm tap.

FWIW, I have also run the Walkabout at 2.67ohms with an 8ohm ext cab (Mesa PH 1x12 as well as an Aguilar GS112). It also worked fine. But, with the mixed resistance of the 2 cabs, keep in mind that the 8ohm cab will get less power (or perhaps, use the power it gets less efficiently ??) than the 4ohm Scout cab. So, there will be a bit of a power split differential between the cabs. I don't think this is a big deal ultimately, but you should be aware of it.

Enjoy your Walkabout, wonderful piece of gear !

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The simplest and SAFEST thing to do, is to get a 4 ohm 2x12, or whatever you prefer, and use it without the Scout cab. That way, it serves 2 different purposes, and always runs at the optimal 4 ohms. I have run mine at 2 ohms, but never pushed it very hard. Take the head out of the Scout cab, and plant it atop the 4 ohm cab of your choice, and you have a halfstack of Boogie goodtimes, without risking damage to your prized Walkabout.

7. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I don't know man, while I have used my Walkabout outside of the combo to drive other cabs/cab combinations, with perfectly good usable tone and volume results. I have to say that the Walkabout driving that 1x12 passive radiator combo cab is just about the sweetest tone I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. That box + that head = sonic bliss. :hyper:

The only thing nicer is the 12 " walkabout cab + Scout 15 cab + the Walkabout head. tight and full tone, great mid projection, big booty .. ahhhh, makes me want to stop typing and go play it .....

Of course, if you need more push from the head, your advice is not a bad option, but it does not result in a louder Walkabout tone IME/IMO :cool:

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So here's a weird question, and apologies if it was already covered in the megathread:

If you were to run two Scout combos in parallel, would they sound better side-by-side or one on top of the other? I can think of reasons why each way might not work "great", but I've never tried it, and am curious.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Idk Bongo, but my "guess" would be side by side. Purely speculation though. And pfchim, I agree, the Scout cab has ALOT to do with the overall tone of the WA. When I ran mine @ 2ohms, it was Scout 12 on top of an Epi UL212. (great combination, btw), but I sold my Epi, and rarely use the WA these days. Not because I don't love it though. And, I only suggested not using the Scout cab to the OP for safety reasons. Although we all know a WA will run @ 2 ohms, if you push it, it'll go into thermal shutdown protection mode, and could cause a nasty burn. You're right though, without the Scout cab, it's not the same beast, though it does sound really nice with a variety of different cab options.

10. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Bongo,
    now we are possibly getting into beaming and comb filtering questions I think.

Stacking could be an issue because of the top mounted format of the Walkabout head. The bottom one would be difficult to reach, adjust and plug into. I suppose you could have a modest height closed cell "spacer" set-up between the top and bottom ones to give more space between them.

I would also think stacking would be better just to get the top cab closer to your ears. It definitely works that way for me when I stack my Walkabout on top of the Scout extension.

Related to your question - Ben Kenney of Incubus has a stage rig that consists of 2 Walkabout 12" combos stacked on top of 2 Scout 12 extensions. They were covered in wine colored tolex with cream colored grills .. cool ! There was a pic of his rig floating around here somewhere last year.

Not sure if this is meaningful to your stacking question, but there you go.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, the comb filtering would be a reason not to stack side-by-side, but it seems like with vertical stacking, the passive radiator of the top one would not do any good. If I was to do such a thing I would just run the bottom one as a slave off the preamp of the top one.

I don't have any of them in reality, just speculating. :) Seems like two Scout combos would be just as portable, and a bit louder, than a Scout combo plus a Scout extension cab.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    But, that Benn Kenney rig is two by two, side by side. That's a great looking rig too, btw, but I've never personally heard it. And Bongo's point about the passive radiator is what led me to believe side by side would sound better. And, they are identical drivers, so really, like the aforementioned Ben Kenney rig, in essence you'd just have a 4x12 arranged like a normal 412. Isn't comb filtering more an issue with mixed size drivers?

13. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    When I bought my walkabout (just a few months ago ;)), I was debating whether to take the 4 ohm version that was in stock, or order an 8 ohm version. I went with the 4 ohm version, my reasoning being, that by itself it could go louder than the 8 ohm version, without the need to add a second cab. Also I was thinking that lugging around an extension cab would be a bit of a drag, and that if I ever needed more power (i've got the 12 inch version btw) I would just detach the head, and run it through a mesa 4x10 4 ohm (that I have yet to buy, but that would be the next step up). I imagined that I would get a larger sound out of the 4x10, push more air, etc, and could drive the walkabout head harder than I would dare when it is just going through the 1x12 combo - I'd assume I could probably get a decent tone even at 2 or 3pm, and not worry about how hard I would be driving the walkabout head as much as I baby it while it is paired with the combo (I never ever push it past 12pm, ever... as I've seen a ton of these with blown speakers secondhand, I bought mine new)

The question is: is that true? If I put a walkabout head through a 4x10 (which would probably be the max you'd want to do, after that you'd probably want a larger watt head) you would get a louder presence than through just the combo? Or am I wrong, and I should have gotten the 8 ohm version, and paired it with an 8 ohm 4x10 to run at the same time?

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You are correct in your assumption. And, it'll sound HUGE.

15. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    you have it mostly correct. You would get more air moving with a 4x10 vs the 1x12. As an aside, somewhere here on TB, somebody posted a real comparison chart of total real cone area for all the common sizes, 2x10, 1x12, 1x15, 4x10, 2x12 etc. I seem to recall that a 1x15 was just shy of the total real cone volume of 4x10 (could be remembering that wrong too though).

Anyway, back OT, the thing you said above that is not correct is that a 4x10 is all you would want to push with the Walkabout head before you moved up to more wattage. Keep in mind this is a 300w head running at 4ohms (conservatively rated at that) that your dealing with. FYI, it will put out ~500w at 2ohms. There are folks here, like Chef, who push 2x 1x15's, and I have seen others post about using the Walkabout with:
    • Bergie 2x15 and 6x10 cabs
    • Accugroove El Whappo, and Whappo Jr.
    • Mesa Diesel 2x15
    • Mesa PH 6x10 and 1000 (4x10 + 1x15 in one cab !)

all with reports of great tone and volume, and no issues what so ever.

For a non Mesa reference, an Ampeg classic SVT is "only" 300 watts too, and it is paired with the classic 8x10 cab, so you should have no issues using the Walkabout with just about any cab/driver config.

good luck and enjoy that Walkabout

16. most everyone here says they haven't had any problems running their scout + extension at either 2 or 2.67 ohms.

but it seems no one really answered the question of whether the extra .67 ohms you get with a 4 ohm scout & 8 ohm extension is a good safety net to have or not.

is it?

17. PartlyDave

PartlyDave

Dec 28, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Just for the record.... i just purchased a Walkabout 1x12 and giged with it this W/E. I have been using an SVT3 head with a 4x10 SVT-pro cab. I tried the 1x12 by itself and though loud enough to deal with the full group, it did not seem to possess the fullness of the 4x10. I then plugged the 4x10 into the Walkabout, disconnected the 1x12 and it sounded OK.......The next day, i worked with the parametric....I dialed in a nice full, round sound to use with a '65 Jazz bass i have....(i have been having trouble dialing in a good tone with the Jazz on gigs using the SVT3/4x10 combo in "live" sounding rooms). Anway, the next night, i took the Jazz and configured the rig to run the 1x12 and the 4x10. I placed the Walkabout on top of the 4x10 and maintained the "full, round" settings...... Bottom line: The sound was the BEST i have ever gotten from the Jazz....Great tone, great headroom, nice and round, not boomy, great/tight presence.....neck pu up about 2/3... bridge pu variable...the bridge pu would vary the sound quickly from full and deep to a Jaco growl.....The amp did NOT overheat.... gig was about 4.5 hrs...Finally, i used the same setup a third time with a loud group, heavy drummer, auditorium...... same settings = Great tone, no apparent overheating - cuts through the mix beautifully...

18. NoFiller

NoFiller Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2016
    ZOMBIE THREAD ALIVE!....Would it be possible to run an Ampeg 15in 4ohm combo as a second cab to the WA 12in combo? If so would I run it from the WA slave jack directly into the instrument input on the Ampeg combo? If I did that, would the WA head control the 15in Ampeg or would I dial in the Ampeg EQ through its own board? Or perhaps EQ both units together from their individual controls? Is there anything I need to be cautions about when connecting these two units other than not to overdrive the WA head past noon? Thats a lot of questions but Im a noob at mixing and matching gear esp since the Ampeg is its own combo and not just a cab, and I certainly don't want to blow anything out in either unit...

19. I realize it's a zombie thread revival etc. ... but having had an 8 ohm Walkabout Scout combo and a 4 ohm one also. ... there's no way that internal 12" speaker in the combo can handle more than about 150w max. .. so it's really quite pointless going for a 4 ohm one to get max power outta the amp for use in the 12" combo.
    I think the WA puts out about 165w @ 8 ohms. ... even then...running at high volumes that internal speaker would struggle at anything over about 2/3 power. ...at 8 ohms. . So, about, say 140w.????

20. NoFiller

NoFiller Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2016
    So better to get an 8ohm 12" if im gonna stack it? Not sure i follow...