running a 2x10 alone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whofan, Jul 5, 2001.

1. whofan

Jun 29, 2001
    do any of you run a 2x10 cabinet alone, without any other cabs? i don't think i've ever seen a bassist that does this.

i just need this to let me be heard during band practice in my garage and work as a monitor. maybe some small coffee shop gigs.

i just got an ampeg 350w(at 4 ohm) head, that will be hooked up to a carvin 2x10 4 ohm cab. and that's it. just the 2x10 alone. will this suffice?

but i'm also thinking of adding an 8 ohm 15" or 18" so it's running on 6 ohms. s'this okay? i just don't want it to blow up or croak.
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    How loud are the other guys?
  3. whofan

Jun 29, 2001
    guitarist has a 80 watt 12" fender (solid state)
    vocals use a 30 watt guitar amp
    drummer's a wuss
  4. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    You won't be running on 6 Ohms, you'll be running at 2.67 Ohms... Ohms are the resistance of the cabs and it is calculated with this formula

Ohms x Ohms divided by Ohms + Ohms = resistance

8 x 4 divided by 8 + 4 = 32 divided by 12 = 2.67
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    That's the exact set up I use when I practice with my band. It's plenty loud. We practice at our drummers house in his basement. There is a work bench there that I set the 210 cab on so it's at ear level. I have even used that set up on smaller gigs. On big outdoor gigs I use it as a bass monitor to help out my Ampeg stack. But I wouldn't use it with another cab with your Ampeg head unless it can handle lower than 4 ohm load.
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I use a Peavey T-Max (350w@4ohms) with just a Peavey 210TXF(4ohms) for rehearsals and small gigs all-the-time. (And I play with a loud drummer and guitar player.) The 210TFX is rated down to 30Hz, so it handles the low-B of my five-string just fine. A few years ago, Bass Player Magazine did a 2x10 stand-alone shoot-out in their Bass Gear issue, and the Carvin got high marks.

Also, don't run that Ampeg below 4ohms!
  7. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Pay attention to Dirk's arithmetic or you'll be buying a new amp soon.
    As for the amp and 210, they will be fine for a coffee shop gig. I assume that everyone else in the band will remember that they are in a coffee shop.
    If the guitar player cranks an 80 watt S.S. amp then you're gonna sound lousy anyway...oops sorry, in my guitar life I'm a tube purist.
  8. JerryR

Jan 27, 2000
    South Carolina
    You should be fine with that setup.
    I use a Carvin RC 210 when I practice and it does fine.
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, plenty of us do this. I use an Acme Low B-2 alone.